Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Psalm 139:13

Psalms 139:13

For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb.

a. NLT: You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb.

b. NIV: For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

c. YLT: For Thou --Thou hast possessed my reins, Thou dost cover me in my mother's belly.

d. Amplified Bible:  For You did form my inward parts; You did knit me together in my mother’s womb.

e. Septuagint: For thou, O Lord, hast possessed my reins; thou hast helped me from my mother’s womb.

f. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings: For You have created my mnd; You have covered me in my mother’s womb.

1. “For thou hast possessed my reins…”

a. For thou hast possessed [7069 * qanah] [Strongs: To erect i.e., to create, to procure…by implication, to own.]

b. my reins [3629 * kilyah] [Strong’s: kidneys (as the essential organ); fig. the mind (as the interior self: kidneys.)]

1). This Hebrew word is also used for the inward organs of sacrificial animals, so in keeping with the context of the baby being formed in the womb I have to go with the NLT “inner parts of my body” and the Amplified  “my inward parts”.

a). Exodus 29:13  And thou shalt take all the fat that covereth the inwards, and the caul that is above the liver, and the two kidneys, and the fat that is upon them, and burn them upon the altar.

b). Leviticus 8:16 And he took all the fat that was upon the inwards, and the caul above the liver, and the two kidneys, and their fat, and Moses burned it upon the altar.

2. “…thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb.”

a. thou hast covered [5526 * cakak] [Strong’s: To entwine as a screen; by implication, to fence in, cover,(fig.) protect: defense, hedge in.]

1). Other ways this Hebrew word is translated. The English word is in italics.

a). Nahum 2:5   He shall recount his worthies: they shall stumble in their walk; they shall make haste to the wall thereof, and the defence shall be prepared.

b). Isaiah 9:11 Therefore the LORD shall set up the adversaries of Rezin against him, and join his enemies together;

2). Some Jewish translations have “you have fashioned me in my mother’s womb.” –Tehillim.

b. in my mother’s [517 * ‘em] [Strong: a primitive word; a mother (as the bond of the family); in a wide sense (both literally and figuratively (like 1):--dam, mother, X parting.]

c. womb [990 * beten] [Strong: from an unused root probably meaning to be hollow; the belly, especially the womb; also the bosom or body of anything:-- belly, body, + as they be born, + within, womb.]

No comments: