Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Psalm 139:14

Psalm 139:14

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

a. NLT: Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.

b. NIV: I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

c. YLT: I confess Thee, because that with wonders I have been distinguished. Wonderful are Thy works, And my soul is knowing it well.

d. Amplified Bible: I will confess and praise You for You are fearful and wonderful and for the awful wonder of my birth! Wonderful are Your works, and that my inner self knows right well.

e. Septuagint Psalm 139:14 is listed under Psalm 138:14: I will give thee thanks; for thou art fearfully wondrous; wondrous are thy works; and my soul knows [it] well. 

f. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings: I acknowledge Yoy, for I am awesomely, wondrously fashioned; wondrous are Your works, and my soul knows it well.

1. “I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made…”

a. I will praise [3034 * yadah] [Strong’s: to use(i.e., to hold out) the hand especially to revere or worship with extended hands.

b. I am fearfully [3372 * yare] [Strong’s: to fear; to revere; causative: to frighten.]

c. and wonderfully made [6395 * palah] [Strong’s: to distinguish, (lit. or fig.) put a difference, show marvelous, separate, set apart, make wonderfully, that causes wonder.]

2. “…marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.”

a. marvellous [6381 * pala’] [Strong’s: To separate, i.e., to distinguish, (lit. or fig.); by implication to be causative – make) great.]

b. are thy works [4639 * ma’aseh] [Strong: from 6213; an action (good or bad); generally, a transaction; abstractly, activity; by implication, a product (specifically, a poem) or (generally) property:--act, art, + bakemeat, business, deed, do(-ing), labor, thing made, ware of making, occupation, thing offered, operation, possession, X well, ((handy-, needle-, net-))work(ing, - manship), wrought.]

c. my soul [5315 * nephesh] [Strong: from 5314; properly, a breathing creature, i.e. animal of (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental):--any, appetite, beast, body, breath, creature, X dead(-ly), desire, X (dis-)contented, X fish, ghost, + greedy, he, heart(-y), (hath, X jeopardy of) life (X in jeopardy), lust, man, me, mind, mortally, one, own, person, pleasure, (her-, him-, my-, thy-)self, them (your)-selves, + slay, soul, + tablet, they, thing, (X she) will, X would have it.]

d. knoweth [3045 * yada’] [Strong’s: to know, to ascertain by seeing; used in a great variety of senses.]

1). I personally believe that David knew because he was shown by God, and when David was shown how the baby and quite possibly himself was formed in the womb, it instilled in him a reverential fear of the LORD and also marvelous wonder.

e. well [3966 * m’od] [Strong: from the same as 181; properly, vehemence, i.e. (with or without preposition) vehemently; by implication, wholly, speedily, etc. (often with other words as an intensive or superlative; especially when repeated):--diligently, especially, exceeding(-ly), far, fast, good, great(-ly), X louder and louder, might(-ily, -y), (so) much, quickly, (so) sore, utterly, very (+ much, sore), well.]

1). Because of the advances of medical science, we as well as David know we are wondrously made and a marvelous work.

No comments: