Monday, April 15, 2013

Psalm 91:2

Psalm 91:2

I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

a. NLT: This I declare about the LORD: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.

b. NIV: I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”

c. Amplified Bible: I will say of the Lord, He is my Refuge and my Fortress, my God; on Him I lean and rely,and in Him I [confidently] trust!

d. Septuagint: He shall say to the Lord, Thou art my helper and my refuge: my God; I will hope in him.

e. Stone Edition Torah/Writings/Prophets: I will say of HASHEM, “[He is] my refuge and my fortress, my God, I will trust in Him.”

1. “I will say of the LORD…”

a. say [559 * amar] [Strong:  a primitive root; to say (used with great latitude):--answer, appoint, avouch, bid, boast self, call, certify, challenge, charge, + (at the, give) command(-ment), commune, consider, declare, demand, X desire, determine, X expressly, X indeed, X intend, name, X plainly, promise, publish, report, require, say, speak (against, of), X still, X suppose, talk, tell, term, X that is, X think, use (speech), utter, X verily, X yet.]

b. LORD [3068 * Yehovaj] [Strong: from 1961; (the) self-Existent or Eternal; Jehovah, Jewish national name of God:--Jehovah, the Lord.]

1). The first two verse in this Psalm highlight the necessary parts we play in this Divine Insurance policy, the first is revealed in verse one that concerns our obedience to the word, the second being our confession concerning it. I don’t think the Scriptures could be clearer about the importance of the words that come out of our mouth. The necessary principle is all through the Bible.

a). Proverbs 18:20, 21 A man's belly shall be satisfied with the fruit of his mouth; and with the increase of his lips shall he be filled.
18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

2). Accessing the promises starting with salvation and entrance in the New Covenant all involve the words that come out of our mouth.

a). Romans 10:6-10 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)
10:7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

3). Faith is a spiritual principle, it is a spiritual force that consists of believing and speaking. When we got saved we believed and we spoke; it is the same with all the promises in the Scripture.

a). 2 Corinthians 4:13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;

b). Roman 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

2. “…He is my refuge and my fortress…”

a. refuge [4268 * machaceh][Gesenius:  refuge, shelter
from rain or storm, from danger, of falsehood.][Strong: a shelter (literally or figuratively):--hope, (place of) refuge, shelter, trust.]

b. fortress [4686 * matsuwd][Strong:  a net, or (abstractly) capture; also a fastness; --castle, defense, fort(-ress), (strong) hold, be hunted, net, snare, strong place.]

c. Tehillim: The devout man who sits in the refuge of the Most High declares publically that God is his refuge from all physical dangers, and his fortress protecting him from all human enemies.

3. “…my God; in him will I trust.”

a. The man is continuing to speak and he says that the LORD is “my God”.

b. God [430 * ‘elohiym][Strong:  gods in the ordinary sense; but specifically used (in the plural thus, especially with the article) of the supreme God; occasionally applied by way of deference to magistrates; and sometimes as a superlative:--angels, X exceeding, God (gods)(-dess, -ly), X (very) great, judges, X mighty.

1). [Blue Letter Bible] This word is used 2606 times in the Old Testament, 2346 times it is referring to God.

c. trust [982 * batach][Gesenius: to trust, to trust, trust in, to have confidence, be confident, to be bold, to be secure, to cause to trust, make secure, to feel safe, be careless.

1). The last word in the above definition is “careless”, I think a more appropriate word would be carefree. In our relationship with God we are to be free from care.

a). Philippians 4:6, 7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

2). We trust Him and we know that he hears our prayers and he answers our petitions.

a). 1 John 5:15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

No comments: