Thursday, April 04, 2013

Romans 1:14

Romans 1:14

I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise.

a. NLT: For I have a great sense of obligation to people in both the civilized world and the rest of the world, to the educated and uneducated alike.

b. NIV: I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish.

c. YLT: Both to Greeks and to foreigners, both to wise and to thoughtless, I am a debtor,

d. Amplified Bible Classic: Both to Greeks and to barbarians (to the cultured and to the uncultured), both to the wise and the foolish, I have an obligation to discharge and a duty to perform and a debt to pay.

e. Worrell Translation: I am debtor both to the Greeks and to the Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish.

f. Wuest Translation: Both to greeks and to those who do not possess Greek culture, both to wise and to unwise.

1. “I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians…”

a. I am [Strong: 1510 eimi, eimi i-mee'; the first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist (used only when emphatic):--am, have been, X it is I, was.]

b. debtor [Strong: 3781 opheiletes of-i-let'-ace from 3784; an ower, i.e. person indebted; figuratively, a delinquent; morally, a transgressor (against God):--debtor, which owed, sinner.] [Thayer: one who owes another, a debtor, one held by some obligation, bound by some duty.]

c. both [Strong: 5037  te, teh; a primary particle (enclitic) of connection or addition; both or also (properly, as correlation of 2532):--also, and, both, even, then, whether. Often used in composition, usually as the latter participle.]

d. to the Greeks [Strong: 1672 Hellen hel'-lane from 1671; a Hellen (Grecian) or inhabitant of Hellas; by extension a Greek-speaking person, especially a non-Jew:-- Gentile, Greek.] [Thayer: a Greek either by nationality, whether a native of the main land or of the Greek islands or colonies, in a wider sense the name embraces all nations not Jews that made the language, customs, and learning of the Greeks their own; the primary reference is to a difference of religion and worship.]

e. and [Strong: 2532 kai, kahee; apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:--and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.]

f. to the Barbarians [Strong: 915 barbaros bar'-bar-os; of uncertain derivation; a foreigner (i.e. non-Greek):--barbarian(-rous).] [Thayer: one whose speech is rude, rough and harsh, one who speaks a foreign or strange language which is not understood by another, used by the Greeks of any foreigner ignorant of the Greek language, whether mental or moral, with the added notion after the Persian war, of rudeness and brutality. The word is used in the N.T. without the idea of reproachfulness.]

1).The Apostle Paul considered himself in debt to the world to preach the gospel to them.

a). 1 Corinthians 9:16, 17 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

2). Paul had a tremendous burden in his heart for his own people, the Jew.

a). Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

b). Romans 9:1-5 I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost,
9:2 That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart.
9:3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:
9:4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;
9:5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.

3). Paul’s debt as he described it was simply the desire and will of God that all men be saved.

a). 1 Timothy 2:1-4 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
2:2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

2. “…both to the wise, and to the unwise.”

a. both [Strong: 5037 te, the; a primary particle (enclitic) of connection or addition; both or also (properly, as correlation of 2532):--also, and, both, even, then, whether. Often used in composition, usually as the latter participle.]

b. to the wise [Strong: 4680 sophos sof-os'; wise (in a most general application):--wise.]

c. and [Strong: 2532 * kai, kahee; apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:--and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.]

d. to the unwise [Strong: 453  anoetos an-o'-ay-tos from 1 (as a negative particle) and a derivative of 3539; unintelligent; by implication, sensual:--fool(-ish), unwise.] [Thayer:  not understood, unintelligible, not understanding, unwise, foolish.]

1). Paul became all things to all people to win them to Christ.

a). 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
9:20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
9:21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
9:23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

2). Paul was the Apostle to the Gentiles, That was his office and that is what God ordained him to be.

a). Romans 11:13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:

b). 1 Timothy 2:7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

c). Acts 26:12-20 Whereupon as I went to Damascus with authority and commission from the chief priests,
26:13 At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me.
26:14 And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
26:15 And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.
26:16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
26:17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
26:19 Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision:
26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

3). All of the calling and motivation is encapsulated in the grace of God given to Paul.

a). 1 Corinthians 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all: yet no I, but the grace of God which was with me.

No comments: