Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Galatians 1:15



Galatians 1:15

But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb, and called me by his grace,

a. NLT: But even before I was born, God chose me and called me by his marvelous grace. Then it pleased him

b. NIV: But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace, was pleased

c. YLT: and when God was well pleased -- having separated me from the womb of my mother, and having called me through His grace --

d. Amplified Bible Classic: But when He, Who had chosen and set me apart [even] before I was born and had called me by His grace (His undeserved favor and blessing), saw fit and was pleased

e. Worrell Translation: But, when it pleased God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb, and called me through His grace,

f. Wuest Translation: But when it was the good pleasure of the One who set me apart before I was born and called me by His grace

1. “But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb…”

a. But [Strong: 1161 de deh a primary particle (adversative or continuative); but, and, etc.:--also, and, but, moreover, now (often unexpressed in English).]

b. when [Strong: 3753 hote hot'-eh from 3739 and 5037; at which (thing) too, i.e. when:--after (that), as soon as, that, when, while.]

c. it pleased [Strong: 2106 eudokeo yoo-dok-eh'-o from 2095 and 1380; to think well of, i.e. approve (an act); specially, to approbate (a person or thing):--think good, (be well) please(-d), be the good (have, take) pleasure, be willing.]

d. God [Strong: 2316 theos theh'-os of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with 3588) the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very:--X exceeding, God, god(-ly, -ward).]

e. who [Strong: 3588 ho ho, including the feminine he hay, and the neuter to to in all their inflections; the definite article; the (sometimes to be supplied, at others omitted, in English idiom):--the, this, that, one, he, she, it, etc.]

f. separated [Strong: 873 aphorizo af-or-id'-zo from 575 and 3724; to set off by boundary, i.e. (figuratively) limit, exclude, appoint, etc.:--divide, separate, sever.]

g. me [Strong: 3165 me meh a shorter (and probably originally) from of 1691; me:--I, me, my.]

h. from [Strong: 1537 ek ek or ex ex a primary preposition denoting origin (the point whence action or motion proceeds), from, out (of place, time, or cause; literal or figurative; direct or remote):--after, among, X are, at, betwixt(-yond), by (the means of), exceedingly, (+ abundantly above), for(- th), from (among, forth, up), + grudgingly, + heartily, X heavenly, X hereby, + very highly, in, ...ly, (because, by reason) of, off (from), on, out among (from, of), over, since, X thenceforth, through, X unto, X vehemently, with(-out). Often used in composition, with the same general import; often of completion.]

i. my [Strong: 3450 mou moo the simpler form of 1700; of me:--I, me, mine (own), my.]

j. mother’s [Strong: 3384 meter may'-tare apparently a primary word; a "mother" (literally or figuratively, immediate or remote):--mother.]

k. womb [Strong: 2836 koilia koy-lee'-ah from koilos ("hollow"); a cavity, i.e. (especially) the abdomen; by implication, the matrix; figuratively, the heart:--belly, womb.]

1). When all of the following passages are studied, it seems evident that the Apostle Paul, before, during and after his time in the womb, God had separated, set him apart, sanctified  and purposed him to receive and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ.

a). Psalm 71:6 By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art he that took me out of my mother’s bowels: my praise shall be continually of thee.

b). Romans 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,

c). Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

2). Even before his conversion as a young man he was called to preach the gospel.

2. “…and called me by his grace,”

a. and [Strong: 2532 kai kahee apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:--and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.]

b. called [me] [Strong: 2564 kaleo kal-eh'-o akin to the base of 2753; to "call" (properly, aloud, but used in a variety of applications, directly or otherwise):--bid, call (forth), (whose, whose sur-)name (was (called)).]

c. by [Strong: 1223 dia dee-ah' a primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through (in very wide applications, local, causal, or occasional):--after, always, among, at, to avoid, because of (that), briefly, by, for (cause) ... fore, from, in, by occasion of, of, by reason of, for sake, that, thereby, therefore, X though, through(-out), to, wherefore, with (-in). In composition it retains the same general importance.]

d. his [Strong: 846 autos ow-tos' from the particle au (perhaps akin to the base of 109 through the idea of a baffling wind) (backward); the reflexive pronoun self, used (alone or in the comparative 1438) of the third person , and (with the proper personal pronoun) of the other persons:--her, it(-self), one, the other, (mine) own, said, (self-), the) same, ((him-, my-, thy- )self, (your-)selves, she, that, their(-s), them(-selves), there(-at, - by, -in, -into, -of, -on, -with), they, (these) things, this (man), those, together, very, which.]

e. grace [Strong: charis khar'-ece from 5463; graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude):--acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace(- ious), joy, liberality, pleasure, thank(-s, -worthy).]

1). The calling of Paul by God ‘s “grace” was a process that reveals God had dealt with Paul by His Spirit. In this passage it is revealed that when God did deal with him, Paul resisted him as if kicking with his feet.

a). Acts 9:1-6 And Saul, yet breathing out threatening and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went into the high priest,
9:2 And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.
9:3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
9:4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutes thou me?
9:5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutes: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
9:6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

(1) hard [Strong: 4642 skleros sklay-ros' from the base of 4628; dry, i.e. hard or tough (figuratively, harsh, severe):--fierce, hard.] [Zodhiates: Dried up, dry, hard, stiff]

(2) kick [Strong: 2979  laktizo lak-tid'-zo from adverb lax (heelwise); to recalcitrate:--kick.] [Zodhiates: To kick, strike with the heel.]

(3) pricks [Strong: 2759 entron ken'-tron from kenteo (to prick); a point ("centre"), i.e. a sting (figuratively, poison) or goad (figuratively, divine impulse):--prick, sting.] [Zodhiates: To prick, stimulate; Any thing by which a puncture is made.]

No comments: