Monday, August 24, 2015

Genesis 20:12

Genesis 20:12

And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.

a. NLT: And she really is my sister, for we both have the same father, but different mothers. And I married her.

b. NIV: Besides, she really is my sister, the daughter of my father though not of my mother; and she became my wife.

c. YLT: and also, truly she is my sister, daughter of my father, only not daughter of my mother, and she becometh my wife;

d. Amplified Bible: But truly, she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father but not of my mother; and she became my wife.

e. Septuagint: For truly she is my sister by my father, but not by my mother, and she became my wife.

f. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings: Moreover, she is indeed my sister, my father’s daughter, though not my mother’s daughter; and she became my wife.

1. “And yet indeed she is my sister…”

a. and yet indeed [546 * ‘omnah] [Strong:  feminine form of 544 (in its usual sense); adverb, surely:--indeed.]

b. she is my sister [269 * ‘achowth] [Strong:  irregular feminine of 251; a sister (used very widely (like 250), literally and figuratively):--(an-)other, sister, together.]

2. “…she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.”

a. she is the daughter [1323 * bath] [Strong: from 1129 (as feminine of 1121); a daughter (used in the same wide sense as other terms of relationship, literally and figuratively):--apple (of the eye), branch, company, daughter, X first, X old, + owl, town, village.]

b. of my father [1 * ‘ab] [Strong: a primitive word; father, in a literal and immediate, or figurative and remote application):--chief, (fore-)father(-less), X patrimony, principal.]

c. but not the daughter  [1323 * bath] See “she is the daughter” above.

d. of my mother [517 * ‘em] [Strong: a primitive word; a mother (as the bond of the family); in a wide sense (both literally and figuratively (like 1):--dam, mother, X parting.]

e. and she became my wife [802 * ‘ishshah] [Strong: feminine of 376 or 582; irregular plural, nashiym {naw-sheem'}; a woman (used in the same wide sense as 582):--(adulter)ess, each, every, female, X many, + none, one, + together, wife, woman. Often unexpressed in English.]

1). This is the first we have heard on this which to me is surprising when looking at the the first mention of Abraham and Sarah and their father Terah.

a). Genesis 11:26-32 And Terah lived seventy years, and begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran.
11:27 Now these are the generations of Terah: Terah begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran; and Haran begat Lot.
11:28 And Haran died before his father Terah in the land of his nativity, in Ur of the Chaldees.
11:29 And Abram and Nahor took them wives: the name of Abram's wife was Sarai; and the name of Nahor's wife, Milcah, the daughter of Haran, the father of Milcah, and the father of Iscah.
11:30 But Sarai was barren; she had no child.
11:31 And Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Haran his son's son, and Sarai his daughter in law, his son Abram's wife; and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan; and they came unto Haran, and dwelt there.
11:32 And the days of Terah were two hundred and five years: and Terah died in Haran.



No comments: