Sunday, December 11, 2022

Joel 1:7

 Joel 1:7

He hath laid my vine waste, and barked my fig tree: he hath made it clean bare, and cast it away; the branches thereof are made white.


a. ASV: He hath laid my vine waste, and barked my fig-tree: he hath made it clean bare, and cast it away; the branches thereof are made white. [Thomas Nelson & Sons first published the American Standard Version in 1901. This translation of the Bible is in the public domain.]


b. YLT: It hath made my vine become a desolation, And my fig-tree become a chip, It hath made it thoroughly bare, and hath cast down, Made white have been its branches. [The Young's Literal Translation was translated by Robert Young, who believed in a strictly literal translation of God's word. This version of the Bible is in the public domain.]


c. Classic Amplified: It has laid waste My vine [symbol of God’s people] and barked and broken My fig tree; it has made them completely bare and thrown them down; their branches are made white. [Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation]


d. NLT: It has destroyed my grapevines and ruined my fig trees, stripping their bark and destroying it, leaving the branches white and bare. [Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.]


e. The Israel Bible: They have laid my vines waste And splintered my fig trees: They have stripped off their bark and thrown [it] away; Their runners have turned white.  [The English Translation was adapted by Israel 365 from the JPS Tanakh. Copyright Ⓒ 1985 by the Jewish Publication Society. All rights reserved.]


f. Torah, Judaism and Jewish information on the web: www.chabad.org; Online English Translation of the Tanakh (Jewish Bible): He has laid my vine waste, and my fig tree into a disappointment; he has peeled it and cast it off, its branches have become white. [English Translation, Ⓒ Copyright The Judaica Press All rights reserved.]


1. “He hath laid my vine waste, and barked my fig tree: he hath made it clean bare…” 


a. [he hath] laid [Strong: 7760 suwm soom or siym {seem}; a primitive root; to put (used in a great variety of applications, literal, figurative, inferentially, and elliptically):--X any wise, appoint, bring, call (a name), care, cast in, change, charge, commit, consider, convey, determine, + disguise, dispose, do, get, give, heap up, hold, impute, lay (down, up), leave, look, make (out), mark, + name, X on, ordain, order, + paint, place, preserve, purpose, put (on), + regard, rehearse, reward, (cause to) set (on, up), shew, + stedfastly, take, X tell, + tread down, ((over-))turn, X wholly, work.]


b. [my] vine [Strong: 1612 gephen gheh'-fen from an unused root meaning to bend; a vine (as twining), especially the grape:--vine, tree.]


c. waste [Strong: 8047 shammah sham-maw' from 8074; ruin; by implication, consternation:--astonishment, desolate(-ion), waste, wonderful thing.]


d. [and] barked [Strong: 7111 qtsaphah kets-aw-faw' from 7107; a fragment:--bark(-ed).]


e. [my] fig tree [Strong: 8384 t'en teh-ane' or (in the singular, feminine) t:enah {teh-ay- naw'}; perhaps of foreign derivation; the fig (tree or fruit):--fig (tree).]


f. [he hath made it] clean bare [Strong: 2834 chasaph khaw-saf' a primitive root; to strip off, i.e. generally to make naked (for exertion or in disgrace), to drain away or bail up (a liquid):--make bare, clean, discover, draw out, take, uncover.]


1). The vineyard of the LORD is Israel.


a). Isaiah 5:1-7 Now will I sing to my wellbeloved a song of my beloved touching his vineyard. My wellbeloved hath a vineyard in a very fruitful hill:

5:2 And he fenced it, and gathered out the stones thereof, and planted it with the choicest vine, and built a tower in the midst of it, and also made a winepress therein: and he looked that it should bring forth grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes.

5:3 And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem, and men of Judah, judge, I pray you, betwixt me and my vineyard.

5:4 What could have been done more to my vineyard, that I have not done in it? wherefore, when I looked that it should bring forth grapes, brought it forth wild grapes?

5:5 And now go to; I will tell you what I will do to my vineyard: I will take away the hedge thereof, and it shall be eaten up; and break down the wall thereof, and it shall be trodden down:

5:6 And I will lay it waste: it shall not be pruned, nor digged; but there shall come up briers and thorns: I will also command the clouds that they rain no rain upon it.

5:7 For the vineyard of the Lord of hosts is the house of Israel, and the men of Judah his pleasant plant: and he looked for judgment, but behold oppression; for righteousness, but behold a cry.


2. “...and cast it away; the branches thereof are made white.”


 a. [and] cast it away [Strong: 7993 shalak shaw-lak a primitive root; to throw out, down or away (literally or figuratively):--adventure, cast (away, down, forth, off, out), hurl, pluck, throw.]


b. [the] branches thereof [Strong: 8299 sariyg saw-reeg' from 8276; a tendril (as entwining):--branch.]


c. [made] white [Strong: 3835 laban law-ban' a primitive root; to be (or become) white; also (as denominative from 3843) to make bricks:--make brick, be (made, make) white(-r).]


No comments: