Friday, August 08, 2014

2 Samuel 23:2

2 Samuel 23:2

The Spirit of the LORD spake by me, and his word was in my tongue.

a. NLT: “The Spirit of the LORD speaks through me; his words are upon my tongue.

b. NIV: “The Spirit of the LORD spoke through me; his word was on my tongue.

c. Young’s Literal Translation: The Spirit of Jehovah hath spoken by me, And His word is on my tongue.

d. Amplified Bible: The Spirit of the Lord spoke in and by me, and His word was upon my tongue.

e. Septuagint: The Spirit of the Lord spoke by me, and his word was upon my tongue.

f. Stone Edition Torah/Writings/Prophets: The spirit of HASHEM spoke through me; His word is upon my tongue.

1. “The Spirit of the LORD spake by me…”

a. Spirit [7307 * ruwach] [Strong:  wind; by resemblance breath, i.e. a sensible (or even violent) exhalation; figuratively, life, anger, unsubstantiality; by extension, a region of the sky; by resemblance spirit, but only of a rational being (including its expression and functions):--air, anger, blast, breath, X cool, courage, mind, X quarter, X side, spirit((-ual)), tempest, X vain, ((whirl-))wind(-y).]

b. LORD [3068 * Yehovah] [Strong: (the) self-Existent or Eternal; Jehovah, Jewish national name of God:--Jehovah, the Lord.]

c. spake [1696 * dabar] [Strong: a primitive root; perhaps properly, to arrange; but used figuratively (of words), to speak; rarely (in a destructive sense) to subdue:--answer, appoint, bid, command, commune, declare, destroy, give, name, promise, pronounce, rehearse, say, speak, be spokesman, subdue, talk, teach, tell, think, use (entreaties), utter, X well, X work.]

1). I believe that David was referring to the things he had written in the past, especially the Psalms he wrote. I get this impression from the previous verse.

a). 2 Samuel 23:1 Now these be the last words of David. David the son of Jesse said, and the man who was raised up on high, the anointed of the God of Jacob, and the sweet psalmist of Israel, said,

2). David was declaring his words to be inspired by God as the following passages describe.

a). 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

b). 1 Peter 1:10-12 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
1;11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.
1:12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

c). 2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

3). There are at least two instances in the New Testament where David is referred to as a Prophet and his words as prophecies.

 a). Acts 1:16-20  Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.
1:17 For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.
1:18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.
1:19 And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.
1:20 For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.

(1) Compare: Psalm 69:25 Let their habitation be desolate; and let none dwell in their tents.

b). Acts 2:25-28 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
2:26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
2:28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.

(1) Compare: Psalm 16:7-11 I will bless the Lord, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.
16:8 I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
16:9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.
16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

c). Acts 2:29-35 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
2:33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.
2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
2:35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool.

(1)   The above passage is a quote with a combination of Psalm 16:10 above, and Psalm 132:11, 12.

(2) Psalm 132:11, 12 The Lord hath sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it; Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne.
132:12 If thy children will keep my covenant and my testimony that I shall teach them, their children shall also sit upon thy throne for evermore.

2. “…and his word was in my tongue.”

a. word [4405 * millah] [Strong: a word; collectively, a discourse; figuratively, a topic:--+ answer, by-word, matter, any thing (what) to say, to speak(-ing), speak, talking, word.]

b. [3956 * lashown] [Strong: the tongue (of man or animals), used literally (as the instrument of licking, eating, or speech), and figuratively (speech, an ingot, a fork of flame, a cove of water):--+ babbler,bay, + evil speaker, language, talker, tongue, wedge.]

No comments: