Friday, December 01, 2006

Genesis 17:4

Genesis 17:4

As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

a. NLT: “This is my covenant with you: I will make you the father of a multitude of nations!

b. NIV: “As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations.

c. YLT: 'I -- lo, My covenant is with thee, and thou hast become father of a multitude of nations;

d. Amplified Bible:  As for Me, behold, My covenant (solemn pledge) is with you, and you shall be the father of many nations.

e. Septuagint: And I, behold! my covenant [is] with thee, and thou shalt be a father of a multitude of nations.

f. Stone Edition Torah/Writings/Prophets: “As for Me, this is My covenant with you, and I will increase you most exceedingly.” 

1. “As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee…”

a. as for me [589 * ‘aniy] [Strong: I:--I, (as for) me, mine, myself, we, X which, X who.] [Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew Lexicon: I (first pers. sing. - usually used for emphasis)]

b. covenant [1285 * beryith] [Strong: a compact (because made by passing between pieces of flesh):--confederacy, (con-)feder(-ate), covenant, league.]

2. “…and thou shalt be a father of many nations.”

a. father [1 * ‘ab] [Strong: a primitive word; father, in a literal and immediate, or figurative and remote application):--chief, (fore-)father(-less), X patrimony, principal. Compare names in "Abi-".] [Brown-Driver-Briggs: father of an individual, of God as father of his people
head or founder of a household, group, family, or clan, ancestor, grandfather, forefathers — of person, of people, originator or patron of a class, profession, or art, of producer, generator (fig.), of benevolence and protection (fig.), term of respect and honour, ruler or chief (spec.)]

b. many [1995 * hamown] [Strong: a noise, tumult, crowd; also disquietude, wealth:--abundance, company, many, multitude, multiply, noise, riches, rumbling, sounding, store, tumult.]

c. nations [1471 * gowy] [Strong: rarely (shortened) goy {go'-ee}; apparently from the same root as 1465 (in the sense of massing); a foreign nation; hence, a Gentile; also (figuratively) a troop of animals, or a flight of locusts:--Gentile, heathen, nation, people.]

1). This passage cannot be studied accurately unless certain verses of Romans 4 are also included. Although it is not mentioned in the Genesis passage, faith was powerfully at work in the spirit world, God’s faith and Abrahams’s faith. In Genesis 17:5 we will go deeper into comparing Romans 4 and this passage.

No comments: