Friday, December 01, 2006

Genesis 18:3

Genesis 18:3

And said, My Lord, if now I have found favor in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant:

a. NLT: “My lord,” he said, “if it pleases you, stop here for a while.

b. NIV: He said, “If I have found favor in your eyes, my lord,fn do not pass your servant by.

c. YLT: And he saith, 'My Lord, if, I pray thee, I have found grace in thine eyes, do not, I pray thee, pass on from thy servant;

d. Amplified Bible: And said, My lord, if now I have found favor in your sight, do not pass by your servant, I beg of you.

e. Septuagint: And he said, Lord, if indeed I have found grace in thy sight, pass not by thy servant.

f. Stone Edition Chumash: And he said, “My Lord, if I find favor in Your eyes now, please pass not away from Your servant.

1. And said, My Lord, if now I have found favor in thy sight

a. and said [559 * ‘amar] [Strong: a primitive root; to say (used with great latitude):--answer, appoint, avouch, bid, boast self, call, certify, challenge, charge, + (at the, give) command(-ment), commune, consider, declare, demand, X desire, determine, X expressly, X indeed, X intend, name, X plainly, promise, publish, report, require, say, speak (against, of), X still, X suppose, talk, tell, term, X that is, X think, use (speech), utter, X verily, X yet.]

b. my Lord [136 * “Adonay] [Strong: am emphatic form of 113; the Lord (used as a proper name of God only):--(my) Lord.]

1). Abraham had seen God at least three times previous to this: Acts 7:2; Genesis 12:7; Genesis 17:1. In Genesis 15:1 the Lord appeared to Abram in a vision and in Genesis 13:14 the text says God spoke to Abram.

c. if now I have found [4672 * matsa’] [Strong: a primitive root; properly, to come forth to, i.e. appear or exist; transitively, to attain, i.e. find or acquire; figuratively, to occur, meet or be present:--+ be able, befall, being, catch, X certainly, (cause to) come (on, to, to hand), deliver, be enough (cause to) find(-ing, occasion, out), get (hold upon), X have (here), be here, hit, be left, light (up-)on, meet (with), X occasion serve, (be) present, ready, speed, suffice, take hold on.]

d. favor [2580 * chen] [Strong: from 2603; graciousness, i.e. subjective (kindness, favor) or objective (beauty):--favour, grace(-ious), pleasant, precious, (well-)favoured.]

e. in  thy sight [5869 * ‘ayin] [Strong: probably a primitive word; an eye (literally or figuratively); by analogy, a fountain (as the eye of the landscape):--affliction, outward appearance, + before, + think best, colour, conceit, + be content, countenance, + displease, eye((-brow), (-d), -sight), face, + favour, fountain, furrow (from the margin), X him, + humble, knowledge, look, (+ well), X me, open(-ly), + (not) please, presence, + regard, resemblance, sight, X thee, X them, + think, X us, well, X you(-rselves).]

2. “…pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant:”

a. pass not away [5674 * ‘abar] [Strong: a primitive root; to cross over; used very widely of any transition (literal or figurative; transitive, intransitive, intensive, causative); specifically, to cover (in copulation):--alienate, alter, X at all, beyond, bring (over, through), carry over, (over-)come (on, over), conduct (over), convey over, current, deliver, do away, enter, escape, fail, gender, get over, (make) go (away, beyond, by, forth, his way, in, on, over, through), have away (more), lay, meddle, overrun, make partition, (cause to, give, make to, over) pass(-age, along, away, beyond, by, -enger, on, out, over, through), (cause to, make) + proclaim(-amation), perish, provoke to anger, put away, rage, + raiser of taxes, remove, send over, set apart, + shave, cause to (make) sound, X speedily, X sweet smelling, take (away), (make to) transgress(-or), translate, turn away, (way-)faring man, be wrath.]

b. from thy servant [5650 * ‘ebed] [Strong: from 5647; a servant:--X bondage, bondman, (bond-)servant, (man-)servant.]

No comments: