Friday, December 01, 2006

Genesis 49:3, 4

Genesis 49:3, 4

Reuben, thou art my firstborn, my might, and the beginning of my strength, the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power:
Unstable as water, thou shalt not excel; because thou wentest up to thy father’s bed; then defilest thou it: he went up to my couch.

1. “…thou shalt not excel; because thou wentest up to thy father’s bed; then defilest thou it: he went up to my couch.”

a. This is reference to Genesis 35:22: “And it came to pass, when Israel dwelt in that land, that Reuben went and lay with Bilhah his father’s concubine: and Israel heard it…”

b. Fornicators lose their birthright.

1). Hebrews 12:16, 17 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

No comments: