Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Genesis 18:27

Genesis 18:27

And Abraham answered and said, Behold mow, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes:

a. NLT: Then Abraham spoke again. “Since I have begun, let me speak further to my Lord, even though I am but dust and ashes.

b. NIV: Then Abraham spoke up again: “Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes,

c. YLT: And Abraham answereth and saith, 'Lo, I pray thee, I have willed to speak unto the Lord, and I -- dust and ashes;

d. Amplified Bible: Abraham answered, Behold now, I who am but dust and ashes have taken upon myself to speak to the Lord.

e. Septuagint: And Abraam answered and said, Now I have begun to speak to my Lord, and I am earth and ashes.

f. Stone Edition Chumash: Abraham responded and said, “Behold now, I desired to speak to my Lord although I am but dust and ash.

1. “And Abraham answered and said…”

a. Abraham [85 * ‘Abraham] [Strong: contracted from 1 and an unused root (probably meaning to be populous); father of a multitude; Abraham, the later name of Abram:--Abraham.]

b. answered [6030 * ‘anah] [Strong:  a primitive root; properly, to eye or (generally) to heed, i.e. pay attention; by implication, to respond; by extens. to begin to speak; specifically to sing, shout, testify, announce:--give account, afflict (by mistake for 6031), (cause to, give) answer, bring low (by mistake for 6031), cry, hear, Leannoth, lift up, say, X scholar, (give a) shout, sing (together by course), speak, testify, utter, (bear) witness.]

c. said [559 * ‘amar] [Strong: a primitive root; to say (used with great latitude):--answer, appoint, avouch, bid, boast self, call, certify, challenge, charge, + (at the, give) command(-ment), commune, consider, declare, demand, X desire, determine, X expressly, X indeed, X intend, name, X plainly, promise, publish, report, require, say, speak (against, of), X still, X suppose, talk, tell, term, X that is, X think, use (speech), utter, X verily, X yet.]

2. “…Behold mow, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes:”

a. I have taken upon me [2974 * ya’al] [Strong: a primitive root (probably rather the same as 2973 through the idea of mental weakness); properly, to yield, especially assent; hence (pos.) to undertake as an act of volition:--assay, begin, be content, please, take upon, X willingly, would.]

b. to speak [1696 * dabar] [Strong: a primitive root; perhaps properly, to arrange; but used figuratively (of words), to speak; rarely (in a destructive sense) to subdue:--answer, appoint, bid, command, commune, declare, destroy, give, name, promise, pronounce, rehearse, say, speak, be spokesman, subdue, talk, teach, tell, think, use (entreaties), utter, X well, X work.]

c. the Lord [136 * ‘Adonay] [Strong: am emphatic form of 113; the Lord (used as a proper name of God only):--(my) Lord.]

d. which [595 * ‘anokiy] [Strong: sometimes {aw-no'-kee}; a primitive pro.; I:--I, me, X which.]

e. am but dust [6083 * ‘aphar] [Strong: from 6080; dust (as powdered or gray); hence, clay, earth, mud:--ashes, dust, earth, ground, morter, powder, rubbish.]

f. and ashes [665 * ‘epher] [Strong: from an unused root meaning to bestrew; ashes:--ashes.]

1). The proper estimation of myself in comparison to the Almighty God is dust and ashes.

a). Job 42:6 Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

b). The commentary for the passage Genesis 18:23-33 is under Genesis 18:23-33.


No comments: