Friday, April 24, 2015

Genesis 19:18

Genesis 19:18

And Lot said unto them, Oh, not so, my Lord:

a. NLT: “Oh no, my lord!” Lot begged.

b. NIV: But Lot said to them, “No, my lords,fn please!

c. YLT: And Lot saith unto them, 'Not so, I pray thee, my lord;

d. Amplified Bible: And Lot said to them, Oh, not that, my lords!

e. Septuagint: And Lot said to them, I pray, Lord,

f. Stone Edition Chumash: Lot said to them: “Please, not! My Lord--.

1. “And Lot said unto them, Oh, not so, my Lord:”

a. Lot [3876 * Lowt] [Strong: the same as 3875; Lot, Abraham's nephew:--Lot.]

b. said [559 * ‘amar] [Strong: a primitive root; to say (used with great latitude):--answer, appoint, avouch, bid, boast self, call, certify, challenge, charge, + (at the, give) command(-ment), commune, consider, declare, demand, X desire, determine, X expressly, X indeed, X intend, name, X plainly, promise, publish, report, require, say, speak (against, of), X still, X suppose, talk, tell, term, X that is, X think, use (speech), utter, X verily, X yet.]

c. Lord [113 * ‘adown] [Strong: from an unused root (meaning to rule); sovereign, i.e. controller (human or divine):-- lord, master, owner. Compare also names beginning with "Adoni-".

1). Robert Jamieson, A.R. Fausset and David Brown Commentary: What a strange want of faith and fortitude, as if He who had interfered for his rescue would not have protected Lot in the mountain solitude.

2). Don’t know exactly what to think about this portion of the passage.



No comments: