Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Acts 2:25

Acts 2:25

For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:

a. NLT: King David said this about him: ‘I see that the LORD is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.

b. NIV: David said about him: “ ‘I saw the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

c. YLT: for David saith in regard to him: I foresaw the Lord always before me -- because He is on my right hand -- that I may not be moved;

d. Amplified Bible: For David says in regard to Him, I saw the Lord constantly before me, for He is at my right hand that I may not be shaken or overthrown or cast down [from my secure and happy state].

e. Worrell Translation: For David says concerning Him, ‘I beheld the Lord in my presence continually; because He is on my right hand, dthat I should not be moved.

1. “For David speaketh concerning him…”

a. for [1063 * gar] [Strong: a primary particle; properly, assigning a reason (used in argument, explanation or intensification; often with other particles):--and, as, because (that), but, even, for, indeed, no doubt, seeing, then, therefore, verily, what, why, yet.]

b. David [1138 * Dabid] [Strong: of Hebrew origin (1732); Dabid (i.e. David), the Israelite king:--David.]

c. speaketh [3004 * lego] [Strong: a primary verb; properly, to "lay" forth, i.e. (figuratively) relate (in words (usually of systematic or set discourse; whereas 2036 and 5346 generally refer to an individual expression or speech respectively; while 4483 is properly to break silence merely, and 2980 means an extended or random harangue)); by implication, to mean:--ask, bid, boast, call, describe, give out, name, put forth, say(-ing, on), shew, speak, tell, utter.]

d. concerning [1519 * eis] [Strong: a primary preposition; to or into (indicating the point reached or entered), of place, time, or (figuratively) purpose (result, etc.); also in adverbial phrases:--(abundant-)ly, against, among, as, at, (back-)ward, before, by, concerning, + continual, + far more exceeding, for (intent, purpose), fore, + forth, in (among, at, unto, -so much that, -to), to the intent that, + of one mind, + never, of, (up-)on, + perish, + set at one again, (so) that, therefore(-unto), throughout, til, to (be, the end, -ward), (here-)until(-to), ...ward, (where-)fore, with. Often used in composition with the same general import, but only with verbs (etc.) expressing motion (literally or figuratively).

e. him [846 * autos] [Strong: from the particle au (perhaps akin to the base of 109 through the idea of a baffling wind) (backward); the reflexive pronoun self, used (alone or in the comparative 1438) of the third person , and (with the proper personal pronoun) of the other persons:--her, it(-self), one, the other, (mine) own, said, (self-), the) same, ((him-, my-, thy- )self, (your-)selves, she, that, their(-s), them(-selves), there(-at, - by, -in, -into, -of, -on, -with), they, (these) things, this (man), those, together, very, which.]

1). Albert Barnes Commentary: This doctrine that the Messiah must rise from the dead Peter proceeds to prove by a quotation from the Old Testament. This passage is taken from Psalms 16:8-11. It is made from the Greek version of the Septuagint, with only one slight and unimportant change. Nor is there any material change, as will be seen, from the Hebrew.

2). Alfred Edersheim writes in his book, The Life And Times of Jesus The Messiah, Book One, Chapter 2. “First and foremost, we have here the Greek translation of the Old Testament, venerable not only as the oldest, but as that which at the time of Jesus held the place of our ‘Authorized Version,’ and as such is so often, although freely, quoted, in the New Testament. Nor need we wonder that it should have been the people’s Bible, not merely among the Hellenists, but in Galilee, and even in Judea. It was not only, as already explained, that Hebrew was no longer the ‘vulgar tongue’ [common] in Palestine, and that written Targumim were prohibited. But most, if not all, at least in towns would understand the Greek version; it might be quoted in intercourse with helleniost brethren or with the Gentiles; and, what was perhaps q=equally, if not more important, it was the most readily procurable.”

3). The passage Peter is quoting from is Psalms 16:8-11. As mentioned above by the previously mentioned commentators, the quote is from the Greek translation of the Hebrew. In order to show the differences I will list both the Septuagint and the King James translations. (The Septuagint is actually in chapter 15). The differences in the translations is much, but putting them all aside, the Septuagint brings out more clearly that David had a vision of the resurrected Christ and he was telling us so.

a). (King James) Psalms 16:8-11 I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
16:9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.
16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fullness of joy; at thy right hand are pleasures for evermore.

b) (Septuagint) Psalm 15:8-11 I foresaw the Lord always before my face; for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved.
16:9 Therefore my heart rejoiced and my tongue exulted; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
16:10 because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
16:11 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou wilt fill me with joy with thy countenance: at thy right hand there are delights for ever.

4). In Acts 2:25 Peter is quoting Psalm 16:8.

2. “…I foresaw the Lord always before my face…”

a. I foresaw [4308 * proorao; pro-before; horao-to see] [Strong: from 4253 and 3708; to behold in advance, i.e. (actively) to notice (another) previously, or (middle voice) to keep in (one's own) view:--foresee, see before.] [Zodhiates: to foresee or look ahead, to fix one’s eyes on something before them].

b. the Lord [2962 * kurios] [Strong: from kuros (supremacy); supreme in authority, i.e. (as noun) controller; by implication, Master (as a respectful title):-- God, Lord, master, Sir.]

c. always [dia * da] [Strong: a primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through (in very wide applications, local, causal, or occasional):--after, always, among, at, to avoid, because of (that), briefly, by, for (cause) ... fore, from, in, by occasion of, of, by reason of, for sake, that, thereby, therefore, X though, through(-out), to, wherefore, with (-in). In composition it retains the same general importance.]

1). [3956 * pas] [Strong: including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole:--all (manner of, means), alway(-s), any (one), X daily, + ever, every (one, way), as many as, + no(-thing), X thoroughly, whatsoever, whole, whosoever.]

d. before [1799 * enopion] [Strong: neuter of a compound of 1722 and a derivative of 3700; in the face of (literally or figuratively):--before, in the presence (sight) of, to.]

e. my face [3450 * mou] [Strong: the simpler form of 1700; of me:--I, me, mine (own), my.]

3. “…for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:”

a. for [3754 * hoti] [Strong: neuter of 3748 as conjunction; demonstrative, that (sometimes redundant); causative, because:--as concerning that, as though, because (that), for (that), how (that), (in) that, though, why.]

b. he is [2076 * esti] [Strong: third person singular present indicative of 1510; he (she or it) is; also (with neuter plural) they are:--are, be(-long), call, X can(-not), come, consisteth, X dure for a while, + follow, X have, (that) is (to say), make, meaneth, X must needs, + profit, + remaineth, + wrestle.]

c. on [1537 * ek] [Strong: a primary preposition denoting origin (the point whence action or motion proceeds), from, out (of place, time, or cause; literal or figurative; direct or remote):--after, among, X are, at, betwixt(-yond), by (the means of), exceedingly, (+ abundantly above), for(- th), from (among, forth, up), + grudgingly, + heartily, X heavenly, X hereby, + very highly, in, ...ly, (because, by reason) of, off (from), on, out among (from, of), over, since, X thenceforth, through, X unto, X vehemently, with(-out). Often used in composition, with the same general import; often of completion.]

d. my [3450 * mou] [Strong: the simpler form of 1700; of me:--I, me, mine (own), my.]

e. right hand [1188 * dexios] [Strong: from 1209; the right side or (feminine) hand (as that which usually takes):--right (hand, side).]

f. that…not [3363 * hina] [Strong: 2443 and 3361; in order (or so) that not:--albeit not, lest, that, no(-t, (-thing)).]

g. I…be moved [4531 * saleuo] [Strong: from 4535; to waver, i.e. agitate, rock, topple or (by implication) destroy; figuratively, to disturb, incite:--move, shake (together), which can(-not) be shaken, stir up.]

1). If I remember correctly it was around 30 years ago when studying this portion of Acts, the Spirit of God gave me a partial revelation that this passage was referring to a vision David received about Christ Jesus being raised from the dead. Still meditating this morning (5/19/15). More to come soon.

2). In his contribution to Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament, Edited by G.K. Beale and D.A. Carson, Howard Marshall writes: “The psalmist has placed Yahweh before himself; the LXX “I saw” (prooromen) is an interpretation of the Hebrew “I set”. The implication is that he continually trusts in God and obeys him. With a shift of metaphor, he declares that Yehweh is at his right hand, the place where a helper would be (cf. expressions about God giving help with his right hand). (More commonly we hear of sitting at the right hand of Yahweh; the thought of the privileges enjoyed by a person sitting at the right hand of a king is used in 16:11b, but is not in mind at this point.) Consequently, he can be confident that he will not be affected by any opposition. According to the usual interpretation, David here is speaking not in his own person, but rather as the Messiah, who refers to the help that God will give him (throughout his life and not simply in relation to his death.”

3). I am still meditating this passage. Something about this phrase intrigues me, “for he is on my right hand”. Who is at whose “right hand”? Jesus is not at David’s right hand! He is at God’s right hand (Psalm 110:1; Matthew 22:41-45). Could it be, that this is an utterance of the First Person of the Godhead (the Father) concerning the Second Person of the Godhead (the Son)? In the Psalms, in particular passages we can see a dialogue between two Persons of the Godhead, the Lord God (the Father) and the Lord God (the Son).

a). Psalm 2:7-9  I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
2:8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.
2:9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.

b). Psalm 45:6, 7 Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a right sceptre.
45:7 Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

(1) We know from Hebrews 1:8, 9 that the passage Psalms 45:6, 7 is the Lord God (Father) speaking to the Lord God (Son).

c). Psalms 102:25-27 Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the work of thy hands.
102:26 They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed:
102:27 But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end.

(1) We know also from Hebrews 1:10-12 that Psalm 102:25-27 is the Lord God (Father) speaking to the Lord God (Son).

d). In light of this, it could be the same in Acts 2:25 where Peter is quoting David writing Psalms 16:8. As in these other instances, David is not just speaking and writing what God inspired him to speak and write, it is that, but it is also God inspiring David to write what He actually had spoken in a previous conversation. In the passages Psalms 45:6, 7; 102:25-27 it was the Father to the Son.

No comments: