Saturday, May 09, 2015

Matthew 10:33

Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

a. NLT: But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven.

b. NIV: But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

c. YLT: and whoever shall deny me before men, I also will deny him before my Father who is in the heavens.

d. Amplified Bible: But whoever denies and disowns Me before men, I also will deny and disown him before My Father Who is in heaven.

e. Worrell Translation: But whosoever denies Me before men, him will I also deny before My Father Who is in Heaven.

1. “But whosoever shall deny me before men…”

a. but [1161 * de] [Strong: a primary particle (adversative or continuative); but, and, etc.:--also, and, but, moreover, now (often unexpressed in English).]

b. whosoever [3748 * hostis] [Strong: including the feminine hetis hay'-tis, and the neuter ho,ti hot'-ee from 3739 and 5100; which some, i.e. any that; also (definite) which same:--X and (they), (such) as, (they) that, in that they, what(-soever), whereas ye, (they) which, who(-soever).]

c. shall [302 * an] [Strong:  a primary particle, denoting a supposition, wish, possibility or uncertainty:--(what-, where-, wither-, who-)soever. Usually unexpressed except by the subjunctive or potential mood.]

d. deny [720 * ameomai] [Strong: perhaps from 1 (as a negative particle) and the middle voice of 4483; to contradict, i.e. disavow, reject, abnegate:--deny, refuse.]

e. before [1715 * emprosthen] [Strong: from 1722 and 4314; in front of (in place (literally or figuratively) or time):--against, at, before, (in presence, sight) of.]

f. men [444 * anthropos] [Strong: from 435 and ops (the countenance; from 3700); man-faced, i.e. a human being:--certain, man.

1). There is more than one way to deny Christ. In the first passage the person is proclaiming Christ with his mouth but with his behavior he denies Him. In the second, shame moves a person to deny Christ.

a). Titus 1:15, 16 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.
1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

b). Mark 8:34-38 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
8:35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.
8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
8:37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
8:38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

c). 2 Timothy 2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

2. “…him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.”

a. him [846 * autos] [Strong: from the particle au (perhaps akin to the base of 109 through the idea of a baffling wind) (backward); the reflexive pronoun self, used (alone or in the comparative 1438) of the third person , and (with the proper personal pronoun) of the other persons:--her, it(-self), one, the other, (mine) own, said, (self-), the) same, ((him-, my-, thy- )self, (your-)selves, she, that, their(-s), them(-selves), there(-at, - by, -in, -into, -of, -on, -with), they, (these) things, this (man), those, together, very, which.]

b. will I also [2504 * kago] [Strong: from 2532 and 1473; so also the dative case kamoi kam-oy', and accusative case kame kam-eh' and (or also, even, etc.) I, (to) me:--(and, even, even so, so) I (also, in like wise), both me, me also.]

c. deny [720 * ameomai] [Strong: perhaps from 1 (as a negative particle) and the middle voice of 4483; to contradict, i.e. disavow, reject, abnegate:--deny, refuse.]

d. before [1715 * emprosthen] [Strong: from 1722 and 4314; in front of (in place (literally or figuratively) or time):--against, at, before, (in presence, sight) of.]

e. my [3450 * mou] [Strong: the simpler form of 1700; of me:--I, me, mine (own), my.]

f. Father [3962 * pater] [Strong: apparently a primary word; a "father" (literally or figuratively, near or more remote):--father, parent.]

g. which [3588 * ho] [Strong: including the feminine he hay, and the neuter to to in all their inflections; the definite article; the (sometimes to be supplied, at others omitted, in English idiom):--the, this, that, one, he, she, it, etc.]

h. is in [1722 * en] [Strong: a primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), i.e. a relation of rest (intermediate between 1519 and 1537); "in," at, (up-)on, by, etc.:--about, after, against, + almost, X altogether, among, X as, at, before, between, (here-)by (+ all means), for (... sake of), + give self wholly to, (here-)in(-to, -wardly), X mightily, (because) of, (up-)on, (open-)ly, X outwardly, one, X quickly, X shortly, (speedi-)ly, X that, X there(-in, -on), through(-out), (un-)to(-ward), under, when, where(-with), while, with(-in). Often used in compounds, with substantially the same import; rarely with verbs of motion, and then not to indicate direction, except (elliptically) by a separate (and different) preposition.]

i. heaven [3772 * ouranos] [Strong:  perhaps from the same as 3735 (through the idea of elevation); the sky; by extension, heaven (as the abode of God); by implication, happiness, power, eternity; specially, the Gospel (Christianity):--air, heaven(-ly), sky.]


No comments: