Sunday, December 13, 2015

Hebrews 2:13

Hebrews 2:13

And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.

a. NLT: He also said, “I will put my trust in him,” that is, “I and the children God has given me.”

b. NIV: And again, “I will put my trust in him.” And again he says, “Here am I, and the children God has given me.”

c. YLT: and again, 'Behold I and the children that God did give to me.'

d. Amplified Bible Classic: And again He says, My trust and assured reliance and confident hope shall be fixed in Him. And yet again, Here I am, I and the children whom God has given Me.

e. Worrell Translation: And again, “I will put my trust in Him.” And again, “Behold, I and the children whom God gave me.”

1. “And again, I will put my trust in him…”

a. and [2532 * kai] [Strong: apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:--and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.]

b. again [3825 * palin] [Strong: probably from the same as 3823 (through the idea of oscillatory repetition); (adverbially) anew, i.e. (of place) back, (of time) once more, or (conjunctionally) furthermore or on the other hand:--again.]

c. I [1473 * ego] [Strong: a primary pronoun of the first person I (only expressed when emphatic):--I, me.]

d. will [2071 * esomai] [Strong: future of 1510; will be:--shall (should) be (have), (shall) come (to pass), X may have, X fall, what would follow, X live long, X sojourn.]

e. put my trust [3982 * peitho] [Strong: a primary verb; to convince (by argument, true or false); by analogy, to pacify or conciliate (by other fair means); reflexively or passively, to assent (to evidence or authority), to rely (by inward certainty):--agree, assure, believe, have confidence, be (wax) conflent, make friend, obey, persuade, trust, yield.]

f. in [1909 * epi] [Strong: a primary preposition; properly, meaning superimposition (of time, place, order, etc.), as a relation of distribution (with the genitive case), i.e. over, upon, etc.; of rest (with the dative case) at, on, etc.; of direction (with the accusative case) towards, upon, etc.:--about (the times), above, after, against, among, as long as (touching), at, beside, X have charge of, (be-, (where-))fore, in (a place, as much as, the time of, -to), (because) of, (up-)on (behalf of), over, (by, for) the space of, through(-out), (un-)to(-ward), with. In compounds it retains essentially the same import, at, upon, etc. (literally or figuratively).]

g. him [846 * autos] [Strong: from the particle au (perhaps akin to the base of 109 through the idea of a baffling wind) (backward); the reflexive pronoun self, used (alone or in the comparative 1438) of the third person , and (with the proper personal pronoun) of the other persons:--her, it(-self), one, the other, (mine) own, said, (self-), the) same, ((him-, my-, thy- )self, (your-)selves, she, that, their(-s), them(-selves), there(-at, - by, -in, -into, -of, -on, -with), they, (these) things, this (man), those, together, very, which.]

1). Albert Barnes Commentary: It is not certain from what place this passage is quoted. In Psalm 18:2, and the corresponding passage in 2 Samuel 22:3, the Hebrew is אחסה־בּו echacah bow - "I will trust in him;" but this Psalm has never been regarded as having any reference to the Messiah, even by the Jews, and it is difficult to see how it could be considered as having any relation to him. Most critics, therefore, as Rosenmuller, Calvin, Koppe, Bloomfield, Stuart, etc., regard the passage as taken from Isaiah 8:17. The reasons for this are: (1) that the words are the same in the Septuagint as in the Epistle to the Hebrews; (2) the apostle quotes the next verse immediately as applicable to the Messiah; (3) no other place occurs where the same expression is found.

2. “…And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.”

a. and [2532 * kai] [Strong: apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:--and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.]

b. again [3825 * palin] [Strong: probably from the same as 3823 (through the idea of oscillatory repetition); (adverbially) anew, i.e. (of place) back, (of time) once more, or (conjunctionally) furthermore or on the other hand:--again.]

c. Behold [2400 * idou] [Strong: second person singular imperative middle voice of 1492; used as imperative lo!; --behold, lo, see.]

d. I [1473 * ego] [Strong: a primary pronoun of the first person I (only expressed when emphatic):--I, me.]

e. and [2532 * kai] [Strong: apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:--and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.]

f. the children [3813 * paidion] [Strong: neuter diminutive of 3816; a childling (of either sex), i.e. (properly), an infant, or (by extension) a half-grown boy or girl; figuratively, an immature Christian:--(little, young) child, damsel.]

g. which [3739 * hos, including feminine he, and neuter ho] [Strong: probably a primary word (or perhaps a form of the article 3588); the relatively (sometimes demonstrative) pronoun, who, which, what, that:--one, (an-, the) other, some, that, what, which, who(-m, -se), etc.]

h. God [2316 * theos] [Strong: of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with 3588) the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very:--X exceeding, God, god(-ly, -ward).]

i. hath given [1325 * didomi] [Strong: a prolonged form of a primary verb (which is used as an alternative in most of the tenses); to give (used in a very wide application, properly, or by implication, literally or figuratively; greatly modified by the connection):--adventure, bestow, bring forth, commit, deliver (up), give, grant, hinder, make, minister, number, offer, have power, put, receive, set, shew, smite (+ with the hand), strike (+ with the palm of the hand), suffer, take, utter, yield.]

j. me [3427 * moi] [Strong: the simpler form of 1698; to me:--I, me, mine, my.]

1). This is a partial quote from Isaiah 8:18.

a). Isaiah 8:18 Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given meare for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.



No comments: