Thursday, January 21, 2016

Job 38:3

Job 38:3

Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.

a. NLT: Brace yourself like a man, because I have some questions for you, and you must answer them.

b. NIV: Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me.

c. YLT: Gird, I pray thee, as a man, thy loins, And I ask thee, and cause thou Me to know.

d. Amplified Bible Classic: Gird up now your loins like a man, and I will demand of you, and you declare to Me.

e. Septuagint: Gird thy loins like a man; and I will ask thee, and do thou answer me.

f. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings: Gird your loins like a warrior, and I will ask you, and you will inform Me.

1.  “Gird up now thy loins like a man...”

a. Gird up [247 * 'azar aw-zar' a primitive root; to belt:--bind (compass) about, gird (up, with).]

1). Many times when this word is used it is to instill strength. According to Blue Letter bible it is used 16 times in 15 different verses.

a). 2 Samuel 22:40 For thou hast girded me with strength to battle: them that rose up against me hast thou subdued under me.

b). Psalm 18:32 It is God that girdeth  me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.

c). Psalm 18:39  For thou hast girded me with strength unto the battle: thou hast subdued under me those that rose up against me.

d). Psalm 65:6 Which by his strength setteth fast the mountains; being girded with power:

e). Jeremiah 1:17 Thou therefore gird up thy loins, and arise, and speak unto them all that I command thee: be not dismayed at their faces, lest I confound thee before them.

b. thy loins [2504 * chalats] [Strong: from 2502 (in the sense of strength); only in the dual; the loins (as the seat of vigor):--loins, reins.]

c. like a man [1397 * geber] [Strong: from 1396; properly, a valiant man or warrior; generally, a person simply:--every one, man, X mighty.] [Outline of biblical Usage: man, strong man, warrior (emphasising strength or ability to fight)]

2. “…for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.”

a. for I will demand [7592 * sha'al; or shael] [Strong: a primitive root; to inquire; by implication, to request; by extension, to demand:--ask (counsel, on), beg, borrow, lay to charge, consult, demand, desire, X earnestly, enquire, + greet, obtain leave, lend, pray, request, require, + salute, X straitly, X surely, wish.]

b. answer thou Me [3045 * yada’] [Strong: a primitive root; to know (properly, to ascertain by seeing); used in a great variety of senses, figuratively, literally, euphemistically and inferentially (including observation, care, recognition; and causatively, instruction, designation, punishment, etc.) (as follow):--acknowledge, acquaintance(-ted with), advise, answer, appoint, assuredly, be aware, (un-)awares, can(-not), certainly, comprehend, consider, X could they, cunning, declare, be diligent, (can, cause to) discern, discover, endued with, familiar friend, famous, feel, can have, be (ig-)norant, instruct, kinsfolk, kinsman, (cause to let, make) know, (come to give, have, take) knowledge, have (knowledge), (be, make, make to be, make self) known, + be learned, + lie by man, mark, perceive, privy to, X prognosticator, regard, have respect, skilful, shew, can (man of) skill, be sure, of a surety, teach, (can) tell, understand, have (understanding), X will be, wist, wit, wot.]


No comments: