Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Romans 7:24

Romans 7:24

O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

a. NLT: Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?

b. NIV: What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?

c. YLT: A wretched man I am! who shall deliver me out of the body of this death?

d. Amplified Bible Classic: O unhappy and pitiable and wretched man that I am! Who will release and deliver me from [the shackles of] this body of death?

e. Worrell Translation: Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me out of the body of this death?

1. “O wretched man that I am…”

a. O wretched [5005 * talaiporos] [Strong: from the base of 5007 and a derivative of the base of 3984; enduring trial, i.e. miserable:--wretched.

b. man [444 * anthropos] [Strong: from 435 and ops (the countenance; from 3700); man-faced, i.e. a human being:--certain, man.]

c. that I am [1473 * ego] [Strong: a primary pronoun of the first person I (only expressed when emphatic):--I, me.]

2. “…who shall deliver me from the body of this death?”

a. who [5101 * tis] [Strong: probably emphatic of 5100; an interrogative pronoun, who, which or what (in direct or indirect questions):--every man, how (much), + no(-ne, thing), what (manner, thing), where (-by, -fore, -of, -unto, - with, -withal), whether, which, who(-m, -se), why.]

b. shall deliver [4506 * rhoumai] [Strong: middle voice of an obsolete verb, akin to 4482 (through the idea of a current; compare 4511); to rush or draw (for oneself), i.e. rescue:--deliver(-er).]

c. me [3165 * me] [Strong: a shorter (and probably originally) from of 1691; me:--I, me, my.]

d. from [1537 * ek; or ex] [Strong: a primary preposition denoting origin (the point whence action or motion proceeds), from, out (of place, time, or cause; literal or figurative; direct or remote):--after, among, X are, at, betwixt(-yond), by (the means of), exceedingly, (+ abundantly above), for(- th), from (among, forth, up), + grudgingly, + heartily, X heavenly, X hereby, + very highly, in, ...ly, (because, by reason) of, off (from), on, out among (from, of), over, since, X thenceforth, through, X unto, X vehemently, with(-out). Often used in composition, with the same general import; often of completion.]

e. the body [4983 * soma] [Strong: from 4982; the body (as a sound whole), used in a very wide application, literally or figuratively:--bodily, body, slave.]

1). This what Paul is referring to in Colossians when we exhorts us to put off the sins of the flesh.

a). Colossians 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

b). Previous to the new Birth man was unable to to this, but because of the grace given at the New Birth, it is not only possible, it is expected.

f. of this [5127 * youtou] [Strong: genitive case singular masculine or neuter of 3778; of (from or concerning) this (person or thing):--here(-by), him, it, + such manner of, that, thence(-forth), thereabout, this, thus.]

g. death [2288 * Thanatos] [Strong:  from 2348; (properly, an adjective used as a noun) death (literally or figuratively):--X deadly, (be...) death.]

1). Albert Barnes Commentary: The body of this death - Margin, "This body of death." The word "body" here is probably used as equivalent to flesh, denoting the corrupt and evil propensities of the soul; Note, Romans 7:18. It is thus used to denote the law of sin in the members, as being that with which the apostle was struggling, and from which he desired to be delivered. The expression "body of this death" is a Hebraism, denoting a body deadly in its tendency; and the whole expression may mean the corrupt principles of man; the carnal, evil affections that lead to death or to condemnation. The expression is one of vast strength, and strongly characteristic of the apostle Paul.


No comments: