Monday, January 04, 2016

Romans 7:21

Romans 7:21

I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

a. NLT: I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong.

b. NIV: So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me.

c. YLT: I find, then, the law, that when I desire to do what is right, with me the evil is present,

d. Amplified Bible Classic: So I find it to be a law (rule of action of my being) that when I want to do what is right and good, evil is ever present with me and I am subject to its insistent demands.

e. Worrell Translation: Consequently, I find the law, that, when I wish to do good, evil is present.

1. “I find then a law…”

a. I find [2147 * heurisko; a prolonged form of a primary heuro, which (together with another cognate form) heureo] [Strong: is used for it in all the tenses except the present and imperfect to find (literally or figuratively):--find, get, obtain, perceive, see.]

b. then [686 * ara] [Strong: probably from 142 (through the idea of drawing a conclusion); a particle denoting an inference more or less decisive (as follows):--haply, (what) manner (of man), no doubt, perhaps, so be, then, therefore, truly, wherefore.]

c. a law [3551 * nomos] [Strong:  from a primary nemo (to parcel out, especially food or grazing to animals); law (through the idea of prescriptive usage), genitive case (regulation), specially, (of Moses (including the volume); also of the Gospel), or figuratively (a principle):--law.

1). I like the Amplified translation best: “I find it to be a law”.

2. “…that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.”

a. that [3754 * hoti] [Strong: neuter of 3748 as conjunction; demonstrative, that (sometimes redundant); causative, because:--as concerning that, as though, because (that), for (that), how (that), (in) that, though, why.]

b. when I [1698 * emoi] [Strong: a prolonged form of 3427; to me:--I, me, mine, my.]

c. would [2309 * thelo; or ethelo, theleo and etheleo] [Strong: which are otherwise obsolete apparently strengthened from the alternate form of 138; to determine (as an active option from subjective impulse; whereas 1014 properly denotes rather a passive acquiescence in objective considerations), i.e. choose or prefer (literally or figuratively); by implication, to wish, i.e. be inclined to (sometimes adverbially, gladly); impersonally for the future tense, to be about to; by Hebraism, to delight in:--desire, be disposed (forward), intend, list, love, mean, please, have rather, (be) will (have, -ling, - ling(-ly)).]
d. do [4160 * poieo] [Strong: apparently a prolonged form of an obsolete primary; to make or do (in a very wide application, more or less direct):--abide, + agree, appoint, X avenge, + band together, be, bear, + bewray, bring (forth), cast out, cause, commit, + content, continue, deal, + without any delay, (would) do(-ing), execute, exercise, fulfil, gain, give, have, hold, X journeying, keep, + lay wait, + lighten the ship, make, X mean, + none of these things move me, observe, ordain, perform, provide, + have purged, purpose, put, + raising up, X secure, shew, X shoot out, spend, take, tarry, + transgress the law, work, yield.]

e. good [2570 * kalos] [Strong: of uncertain affinity; properly, beautiful, but chiefly (figuratively) good (literally or morally), i.e. valuable or virtuous (for appearance or use, and thus distinguished from 18, which is properly intrinsic):--X better, fair, good(-ly), honest, meet, well, worthy.] [Thayer: beautiful, handsome, excellent, eminent, choice, surpassing, precious, useful, suitable, commendable, admirable, beautiful to look at, shapely, magnificent, good, excellent in its nature and characteristics, and therefore well adapted to its ends, genuine, approved, precious, joined to names of men designated by their office, competent, able, such as one ought to be, praiseworthy, noble, beautiful by reason of purity of heart and life, and hence praiseworthy, morally good, noble, honourable, conferring honour, affecting the mind agreeably, comforting and confirming.]

f. evil [2556 * kakos] [Strong: apparently a primary word; worthless (intrinsically, such; whereas 4190 properly refers to effects), i.e. (subjectively) depraved, or (objectively) injurious:--bad, evil, harm, ill, noisome, wicked.]

g. is present [3873 * parakeimai] [Strong: from 3844 and 2749; to lie near, i.e. be at hand (figuratively, be prompt or easy):--be present.]

h. with me [1698 * emoi] [Strong: a prolonged form of 3427; to me:--I, me, mine, my.]


No comments: