Monday, January 04, 2016

Romans 7:16

Romans 7:16

If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

a. NLT: But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good.

b. NIV: And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.

c. YLT: And if what I do not will, this I do, I consent to the law that it is good,

d. Amplified Bible Classic: Now if I do [habitually] what is contrary to my desire, [that means that] I acknowledge and agree that the Law is good (morally excellent) and that I take sides with it.

e. Worrell Translation:But, if what I wish not, that I do, I consent to the law that it is good.

1. “If then I do that which I would not…”

a. If [1487 * ei] [Strong: a primary particle of conditionality; if, whether, that, etc.:--forasmuch as, if, that, (al-)though, whether.]

b. then [1161 * de] [Strong: a primary particle (adversative or continuative); but, and, etc.:--also, and, but, moreover, now (often unexpressed in English).]

c. I do [4160 * poieo] [Strong: apparently a prolonged form of an obsolete primary; to make or do (in a very wide application, more or less direct):--abide, + agree, appoint, X avenge, + band together, be, bear, + bewray, bring (forth), cast out, cause, commit, + content, continue, deal, + without any delay, (would) do(-ing), execute, exercise, fulfil, gain, give, have, hold, X journeying, keep, + lay wait, + lighten the ship, make, X mean, + none of these things move me, observe, ordain, perform, provide, + have purged, purpose, put, + raising up, X secure, shew, X shoot out, spend, take, tarry, + transgress the law, work, yield.]

d. that [5124 * touto] [Strong: neuter singular nominative or accusative case of 3778; that thing:--here (-unto), it, partly, self(-same), so, that (intent), the same, there(-fore, -unto), this, thus, where(-fore).]

e. which [3739 * hos;  including feminine he, and neuter ho] [Strong: probably a primary word (or perhaps a form of the article 3588); the relatively (sometimes demonstrative) pronoun, who, which, what, that:--one, (an-, the) other, some, that, what, which, who(-m, -se), etc.]

f. I would [2309 * thelo; or ethelo, in certain tenses theleo, and etheleo, which are otherwise obsolete apparently strengthened from the alternate form of 138] [Strong: to determine (as an active option from subjective impulse; whereas 1014 properly denotes rather a passive acquiescence in objective considerations), i.e. choose or prefer (literally or figuratively); by implication, to wish, i.e. be inclined to (sometimes adverbially, gladly); impersonally for the future tense, to be about to; by Hebraism, to delight in:--desire, be disposed (forward), intend, list, love, mean, please, have rather, (be) will (have, -ling, - ling(-ly)).]

g. not [ 3756 * ou, also (before a vowel) ouk, and (before an aspirate) ouch] [Strong: a primary word; the absolute negative (compare 3361) adverb; no or not:--+ long, nay, neither, never, no (X man), none, (can-)not, + nothing, + special, un(-worthy), when, + without, + yet but.]

2. “…I consent unto the law that it is good.”

a. I consent [4852 * sumphemi; sun-with; phemi-to speak] [Strong: from 4862 and 5346; to say jointly, i.e. assent to:--consent unto.]

1). Vincent Word Studies: Lit., speak together with; concur with, since the law also does not desire what I do.

b. unto the law [3551 * nomos] [Strong: from a primary nemo (to parcel out, especially food or grazing to animals); law (through the idea of prescriptive usage), genitive case (regulation), specially, (of Moses (including the volume); also of the Gospel), or figuratively (a principle):--law.]

c. that [3754 * hoti] [Strong: neuter of 3748 as conjunction; demonstrative, that (sometimes redundant); causative, because:--as concerning that, as though, because (that), for (that), how (that), (in) that, though, why.]

d. it is good [2570 * kalos] [Strong: of uncertain affinity; properly, beautiful, but chiefly (figuratively) good (literally or morally), i.e. valuable or virtuous (for appearance or use, and thus distinguished from 18, which is properly intrinsic):--X better, fair, good(-ly), honest, meet, well, worthy.] [Thayer: beautiful, handsome, excellent, eminent, choice, surpassing, precious, useful, suitable, commendable, admirable, beautiful to look at, shapely, magnificent
good, excellent in its nature and characteristics, and therefore well adapted to its ends, genuine, approved, precious, joined to names of men designated by their office, competent, able, such as one ought to be, praiseworthy, noble, beautiful by reason of purity of heart and life, and hence praiseworthy, morally good, noble, honourable, conferring honour, affecting the mind agreeably, comforting and confirming.]

1). Matthew 3:10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

2). Matthew 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

3). John 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

4). John 10:14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.


No comments: