Monday, January 25, 2016

Job 9:31

Job 9:31

Yet shalt thou plunge me in the ditch, and mine own clothes shall abhor me.

a. NLT: you would plunge me into a muddy ditch, and my own filthy clothing would hate me.

b. NIV: you would plunge me into a slime pit so that even my clothes would detest me.

c. YLT: Then in corruption Thou dost dip me, And my garments have abominated me.

d. Amplified Bible Classic: Yet You will plunge me into the ditch, and my own clothes will abhor me [and refuse to cover so foul a body].

e. Septuagint: thou hadst thoroughly plunged me in filth, and my garment had abhorred me. 

f. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings: You would immerse me in the pit; my very clothes would loathe me.

1. “Yet shalt thou plunge me in the ditch…”

a. yet [227 * 'az] [Strong: a demonstrative adverb; at that time or place; also as a conjunction, therefore:--beginning, for, from, hitherto, now, of old, once, since, then, at which time, yet.]

b. shalt thou plunge [2881 * tabal] [Strong: a primitive root; to dip, to immerse:--dip, plunge.]

c. me in the ditch [7845 * shachath] [Strong: from 7743; a pit (especially as a trap); figuratively, destruction:--corruption, destruction, ditch, grave, pit.]

2. “…and mine own clothes shall abhor me.”

a. and mine own clothes [8008 *  salmah] [Strong: transp. for 8071; a dress:--clothes, garment, raiment.]

b. shall abhor me [8581 * ta`ab] [Strong: a primitive root; to loathe, i.e. (morally) detest:--(make to be) abhor(-red), (be, commit more, do) abominable(-y), X utterly.]

1). Adam Clarke Commentary: And mine own clothes shall abhor me - Such is thine infinite purity, when put in opposition to the purity of man, that it will bear no comparison. Searched and tried by the eye of God, I should be found as a leper, so that my own clothes would dread to touch me, for fear of being infected by my corruption. This is a strong and bold figure; and is derived from the corrupted state of his body, which his clothes dreaded to touch, because of the contagious nature of his disorder.


No comments: