Monday, January 04, 2016

Romans 7:17

Romans 7:17

Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

a. NLT: So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.

b. NIV: As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.

c. YLT: and now it is no longer I that work it, but the sin dwelling in me,

d. Amplified Bible Classic: However, it is no longer I who do the deed, but the sin [principle] which is at home in me and has possession of me.

e. Worrell Translation: And now no longer do I accomplish it, but the sin which dwells in me.

1. “Now then it is no more I that do it…”

a. Now [3570 * nuni] [Strong: a prolonged form of 3568 for emphasis; just now:--now.]

b. then [1161 * de] [Strong: a primary particle (adversative or continuative); but, and, etc.:--also, and, but, moreover, now (often unexpressed in English).]

c. it is no more [3765 * ouketi; also (separately) ouk eti] [Strong: from 3756 and 2089; not yet, no longer:--after that (not), (not) any more, henceforth (hereafter) not, no longer (more), not as yet (now), now no more (not), yet (not).]

d. I [1473 * ego] [Strong: a primary pronoun of the first person I (only expressed when emphatic):--I, me.]

e. that do [2716 * katergazomai] [Strong: from 2596 and 2038; to work fully, i.e. accomplish; by implication, to finish, fashion:--cause, to (deed), perform, work (out).]

f. it [846 * autos] [Strong: from the particle au (perhaps akin to the base of 109 through the idea of a baffling wind) (backward); the reflexive pronoun self, used (alone or in the comparative 1438) of the third person , and (with the proper personal pronoun) of the other persons:--her, it(-self), one, the other, (mine) own, said, (self-), the) same, ((him-, my-, thy- )self, (your-)selves, she, that, their(-s), them(-selves), there(-at, - by, -in, -into, -of, -on, -with), they, (these) things, this (man), those, together, very, which.] 

2. “…but sin that dwelleth in me.”

a. but [235 * alla] [Strong: neuter plural of 243; properly, other things, i.e. (adverbially) contrariwise (in many relations):--and, but (even), howbeit, indeed, nay, nevertheless, no, notwithstanding, save, therefore, yea, yet.]

b. sin [266 * hamartia] [Strong: from 264; a sin (properly abstract):--offence, sin(-ful).]

1). The law of sin and death which he is describing in this passage, dwells in all of humanity since the sin of Adam and Eve.

c. that dwelleth [3611 * oikeo] [Strong: from 3624; to occupy a house, i.e. reside (figuratively, inhabit, remain, inhere); by implication, to cohabit:--dwell.]

d. in [1722 * en] [Strong: a primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), i.e. a relation of rest (intermediate between 1519 and 1537); "in," at, (up-)on, by, etc.:--about, after, against, + almost, X altogether, among, X as, at, before, between, (here-)by (+ all means), for (... sake of), + give self wholly to, (here-)in(-to, -wardly), X mightily, (because) of, (up-)on, (open-)ly, X outwardly, one, X quickly, X shortly, (speedi-)ly, X that, X there(-in, -on), through(-out), (un-)to(-ward), under, when, where(-with), while, with(-in). Often used in compounds, with substantially the same import; rarely with verbs of motion, and then not to indicate direction, except (elliptically) by a separate (and different) preposition.]

e. me [1698 * emoi] [Strong: a prolonged form of 3427; to me:--I, me, mine, my.]

1). Adam Clark Commentary: Now then it is no more I - It is not that I which constitutes reason and conscience, but sin-corrupt and sensual inclinations, that dwelleth in me - that has the entire domination over my reason, darkening my understanding, and perverting my judgment; for which there is condemnation in the law, but no cure. So we find here that there is a principle in the unregenerate man stronger than reason itself; a principle which is, properly speaking, not of the essence of the soul, but acts in it, as its lord, or as a tyrant. This is inbred and indwelling sin - the seed of the serpent; by which the whole soul is darkened, confused, perverted, and excited to rebellion against God.

2).  Robert Jamieson, A.R. Fausset and David Brown Commentary: That coexistence and mutual hostility of "flesh" and "spirit" in the same renewed man, which is so clearly taught in Romans 8:4, &c., and in Galatians 5:16, &c., is the true and only key to the language of this and the following verses. (It is hardly necessary to say that the apostle means not to disown the blame of yielding to his corruptions, by saying, "it is not he that does it, but sin that dwelleth in him." Early heretics thus abused his language; but the whole strain of the passage shows that his sole object in thus expressing himself was to bring more vividly before his readers the conflict of two opposite principles, and how entirely, as a new man--honoring from his inmost soul the law of God--he condemned and renounced his corrupt nature, with its affections and lusts, its stirrings and its outgoings, root and branch).

No comments: