Sunday, February 17, 2013

Jeremiah 20:7

Jeremiah 20:7

O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived; thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me.

a. NLT: O LORD, you misled me, and I allowed myself to be misled. You are stronger than I am, and you overpowered me. Now I am mocked every day; everyone laughs at me.

b. NIV: You deceived me, LORD, and I was deceived; you overpowered me and prevailed. I am ridiculed all day long; everyone mocks me.

c. Amplified Bible: [But Jeremiah said] O Lord, You have persuaded and deceived me, and I was persuaded and deceived; You are stronger than I am and You have prevailed. I am a laughingstock all the day; everyone mocks me.

d. Septuagint: Thou hast deceived me, O Lord, and I have been deceived: thou hast been strong, and has prevailed: I am become a laughing-stock, I am continually mocked every day. 

e. Stone Edition Torah/Writings/Prophets: You persuaded me, HASHEM, and I was persuaded; You were more forceful that I and You prevailed. I have become a laughingstock all day long, and everyone ridicules me.

1. “O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived…”

a. Lord [3068 * Yehovah] [Strong: (the) self-Existent or Eternal; Jehovah, Jewish national name of God:--Jehovah, the Lord]

b. deceived [6601 * pathah] [Strong: a primitive root; to open, i.e. be (causatively, make) roomy; usually figuratively (in a mental or moral sense) to be (causatively, make) simple or (in a sinister way) delude:--allure, deceive, enlarge, entice, flatter, persuade, silly (one).]

c. deceived [6601 * pathah] [Strong: a primitive root; to open, i.e. be (causatively, make) roomy; usually figuratively (in a mental or moral sense) to be (causatively, make) simple or (in a sinister way) delude:--allure, deceive, enlarge, entice, flatter, persuade, silly (one).]

d. Commentary:

1). Adam Clark: Thou hast promised me protection; and, lo! I am now delivered into the hands of my enemies. These words were probably spoken when Pashur smote him, and put him in prison.

2). Robert Jamieson, A.R. Fausset and David Brown: deceived--Others translate as Margin, "Thou hast enticed" or "persuaded me," namely, to undertake the prophetic office, "and I was persuaded," that is, suffered myself to be persuaded to undertake what I find too hard for me.

2. “…thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed…”


a. stronger [2388 * chazaq] [Strong:  a primitive root; to fasten upon; hence, to seize, be strong (figuratively, courageous, causatively strengthen, cure, help, repair, fortify), obstinate; to bind, restrain, conquer:--aid, amend, X calker, catch, cleave, confirm, be constant, constrain, continue, be of good (take) courage(-ous, -ly), encourage (self), be established, fasten, force, fortify, make hard, harden, help, (lay) hold (fast), lean, maintain, play the man, mend, become (wax) mighty, prevail, be recovered, repair, retain, seize, be (wax) sore, strengthen (self), be stout, be (make, shew, wax) strong(-er), be sure, take (hold), be urgent, behave self valiantly, withstand.]

b. prevailed [3201 * yakol] [Strong:  a primitive root; to be able, literally (can, could) or morally (may, might):--be able, any at all (ways), attain, can (away with, (-not)), could, endure, might, overcome, have power, prevail, still, suffer.]

3. “…I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me.”

a. derision [7814 * sechowq] [Strong:  laughter (in merriment or defiance):--derision, laughter(-ed to scorn, -ing), mocked, sport.]

b. daily [3117 * yowm] [Strong: from an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literal (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figurative (a space of time defined by an associated term), (often used adverb):--age, + always, + chronicals, continually(-ance), daily, ((birth-), each, to) day, (now a, two) days (agone), + elder, X end, + evening, + (for) ever(-lasting, -more), X full, life, as (so) long as (... live), (even) now, + old, + outlived, + perpetually, presently, + remaineth, X required, season, X since, space, then, (process of) time, + as at other times, + in trouble, weather, (as) when, (a, the, within a) while (that), X whole (+ age), (full) year(-ly), + younger.]

c. mocketh [3932 * la’ag] [Strong: a primitive root; to deride; by implication (as if imitating a foreigner) to speak unintelligibly:--have in derision, laugh (to scorn), mock (on), stammering.]

No comments: