Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Mark 3:32-35



Mark 3:32-35

And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee.
And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren?
And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.

1. “For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.”

a. Blood is thicker than water but spirit is thicker than blood. Jesus here was literally putting off his family in favor of ministering to people who were hungry for God. Jesus probably knew what his family was up to, to basically kidnap him in order to protect him from himself. His family at this time did not believe in him.

1). Mark 6:4 [New Living Translation] Then Jesus told them, "A prophet is honored everywhere except in his own hometown and among his relatives and his own family."

2). Mark 6:4 [NIV] Jesus said to them, "Only in his hometown, among his relatives and in his own house is a prophet without honor."

b. There were times during his ministering that his brothers out of unbelief would prompt him to do something.

1). John 7:3-5  His brethren therefore said unto him, Depart hence, and go into Judaea, that thy disciples also may see the works that thou doest.
For there is no man that doeth any thing in secret, and he himself seeketh to be known openly. If thou do these things, shew thyself to the world.
For neither did his brethren believe in him.

c. This Messianic passage from Psalms reveals the disapproval his family particularly his brothers felt toward him, which was extremely emotionally painful for him

1). Psalm 69:7-10 Because for thy sake I have borne reproach; shame hath covered my face.
I am become a stranger unto my brethren, and an alien unto my mother's children.
For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up; and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me.
When I wept, and chastened my soul with fasting, that was to my reproach.

d. This kind of suffering, that Jesus endured first, is part of bearing our cross that Jesus expects us to bear. He must come first in our lives, even over the lives of our family.

1). Matthew 10:34-40 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy or me.
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.
He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth  him that sent me.

No comments: