Tuesday, August 12, 2008

1 Corinthians 9:26

1 Corinthians 9:26

I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:

a. NLT: So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing.

b. NIV: Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.

c. YLT: I, therefore, thus run, not as uncertainly, thus I fight, as not beating air;

d. Amplified Bible: Therefore I do not run uncertainly (without definite aim). I do not box like one beating the air and striking without an adversary.

e. Worrell Translation: I, therefore, so run, as not uncertainly; I so fight, as not beating the air.

1. “I therefore so run, not as uncertainly…”

a. I [1473 * ego] [Strong: a primary pronoun of the first person I (only expressed when emphatic):--I, me. For the other cases and the plural see 1691, 1698, 1700, 2248, 2249, 2254, 2257, etc.]

b. therefore [5106 * toinun] [Strong: from 5104 and 3568; truly now, i.e. accordingly:--then, therefore.]

c. so [3779 * houto] [Strong: or (before a vowel houtos hoo'-toce adverb from 3778; in this way (referring to what precedes or follows):--after that, after (in) this manner, as, even (so), for all that, like(-wise), no more, on this fashion(-wise), so (in like manner), thus, what.]

d. run [5143 * trecho] [Strong: apparently a primary verb (properly, threcho; compare 2359); which uses dremo drem'-o (the base of 1408) as alternate in certain tenses; to run or walk hastily (literally or figuratively):--have course, run.]

e. not [3756 * ou] [Strong: also (before a vowel) ouk ook, and (before an aspirate) ouch ookh a primary word; the absolute negative (compare 3361) adverb; no or not:--+ long, nay, neither, never, no (X man), none, (can-)not, + nothing, + special, un(-worthy), when, + without, + yet but.]

f. as [5613 * hos] [Strong: probably adverb of comparative from 3739; which how, i.e. in that manner (very variously used, as follows):--about, after (that), (according) as (it had been, it were), as soon (as), even as (like), for, how (greatly), like (as, unto), since, so (that), that, to wit, unto, when(-soever), while, X with all speed.]

g. uncertainly [84 * adelos; a-negative; delos-evident.] [Strong: probably adverb of comparative from 3739; which how, i.e. in that manner (very variously used, as follows):--about, after (that), (according) as (it had been, it were), as soon (as), even as (like), for, how (greatly), like (as, unto), since, so (that), that, to wit, unto, when(-soever), while, X with all speed.]

          1). Of the effort he put forth and his destination Paul was not unsure.

a). 2 Timothy 1:12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed; for I know in whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

b). One of the key words in this verse is the word, “committed”.  A committed man is a stable man.

(1)  Proverbs 16:3 Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established.

(2) James 1:8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

2 “…so fight I, not as one that beatheth the air.”

a. so [3779 * houto] [Strong: or (before a vowel houtos hoo'-toce adverb from 3778; in this way (referring to what precedes or follows):--after that, after (in) this manner, as, even (so), for all that, like(-wise), no more, on this fashion(-wise), so (in like manner), thus, what.]

b. fight [4438 * pukteo] [Strong: from a derivative of the same as 4435; to box (with the fist), i.e. contend (as a boxer) at the games (figuratively):--fight.]

c. not [3756 * ou] [Strong: also (before a vowel) ouk ook, and (before an aspirate) ouch ookh a primary word; the absolute negative (compare 3361) adverb; no or not:--+ long, nay, neither, never, no (X man), none, (can-)not, + nothing, + special, un(-worthy), when, + without, + yet but.]

d. as [5613 * hos] [Strong: probably adverb of comparative from 3739; which how, i.e. in that manner (very variously used, as follows):--about, after (that), (according) as (it had been, it were), as soon (as), even as (like), for, how (greatly), like (as, unto), since, so (that), that, to wit, unto, when(-soever), while, X with all speed.]

e. beateth [1194 * dero] [Strong: a primary verb; properly, to flay, i.e. (by implication) to scourge, or (by analogy) to thrash:--beat, smite.]

f. the air [109 * aer] [Strong: from aemi (to breathe unconsciously, i.e. respire; by analogy, to blow); "air" (as naturally circumambient):--air.]

1). Shadow boxing, no damage done, beating the air, or in a boxing match, missing my target. The Amplified Bible reads, “…I do not box as one beating the air and striking without an adversary.” Paul made his punches count and he exhorts us to do the same in our spiritual battles using our faith.

a). 1 Timothy 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

             2). Near the end of Paul’s ministry, he declared that he had been faithful.

a). 2 Timothy 4:7, 8 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

           3). Paul isn’t the only one who exhorts us to fight the good fight.

a). Jude 3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.



No comments: