Saturday, January 21, 2012

Isaiah 12:1


Isaiah 12:1

And in that day thou shalt say, O LORD, I will praise thee: though thou wast angry with me, thine anger is turned away, and thou comfortedst me.

1. “And in that day thou shalt say, O LORD, I will praise thee: though thou wast angry with me, thine anger is turned away…”

a. God’s anger has been turned away, He took His anger out on Jesus.

1). Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

2). Jesus bore our sin on the cross so that we might have His righteousness.

a). 2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be  sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

3). It was my sin He was made, He was judged for my sin.

a). Isaiah 53:5 “But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities…”

b). Isaiah 53:6 “…and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.”

b. Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

1). Romans 5:1 declares that because we have been justified by faith we have peace with God, but Jesus bore the chastisement due for us that we might have the peace of God.

a). Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

2). Because of the sacrifice of Christ God is at peace with all of humanity. If we look closely at Romans 5:1 along with Romans 8:33 that declares, “It is God that justifieth:”, we see that it was not my faith that justifies us, it was God’s faith. We were justified by the shedding of Christ’s blood not by our faith.

a). Romans 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

3). We enter into this grace of being justified and at peace by faith when we got born again.

a). Romans 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

2. “…and thou comfortedst me.”

a. God is the God of all comfort.

1). 2 Corinthians 1:3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;

b. He will comfort us through the Scriptures.

1). Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

2). Psalm 119:49-52 Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope.
This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.
The proud have had me greatly in derision: yet have I not declined from thy law.
I remembered thy judgments of old, O LORD; and have comforted myself.

c. He will comfort us through the Holy Ghost.

1). John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

d. Isaiah 12 is also Messianic in that it points to the time when Israel will again be completely in fellowship with God after the second coming of Christ. This conclusion is arrived at by simply looking at the language and not exclusively spiritualizing it to apply to the church. Notice the following passage that prophecies the restoration of Israel to her God.

1). Ezekiel 36:25-30 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.
I will also save you from all your uncleannesses: and I will call for the corn, and will increase it, and lay no famine upon you.
And I will multiply the fruit of the tree, and the increase of the field, that ye shall receive no more reproach of famine among the heathen.

No comments: