Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Job 29:14

 Job 29:14

I put on righteousness, and it clothed me: my judgment was as a robe and a diadem.


a. NLT: Everything I did was honest. Righteousness covered me like a robe, and I wore justice like a turban.  [Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.]


b. ASV: I put on righteousness, and it clothed me: My justice was as a robe and a diadem.

 [Thomas Nelson & Sons first published the American Standard Version in 1901. This translation of the Bible is in the public domain.]


c. YLT: Righteousness I have put on, and it clotheth me, As a robe and a diadem my justice. [The Young's Literal Translation was translated by Robert Young, who believed in a strictly literal translation of God's word. This version of the Bible is in the public domain.]


d. Classic Amplified: I put on righteousness, and it clothed me or clothed itself with me; my justice was like a robe and a turban or a diadem or a crown! [Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation]


e. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/ Writings: I donned righteousness, and it suited me; my justice was like a cloak and a headdress. [The Artscroll Series/Stone Edition, THE TANACH--STUDENT SIZE EDITION Copyright 1996, 1998 by Mesorah Publications, Ldt.]


f. Jewish Publication Society of America Text: I put on righteousness, and it clothed itself with me; My justice was as a robe and a diadem. [Soncino Books of the Bible, Job, 1946; Jewish Publication Society of America Text; Commentary, Rabbi Dr. Victor E. Reichert]


g. Peshitta Eastern Text: I put on righteousness, and it clothed me like a robe and diadem of justice.  [HOLY BIBLE FROM THE ANCIENT EASTERN TEXT.Copyright  Ⓒ 1933 by A.J. Holmon Co.; copyright  Ⓒ renewed 1961 by A.J. Holmon Co.; Copyright  Ⓒ 1939 by A.J. Holmon Co.; copyright  Ⓒ renewed 1967  by A.J. Holmon Co.;  Copyright  Ⓒ 1940 by A.J. Holmon Co.; copyright  Ⓒ renewed 1968 by A.J. Holmon Co.; Copyright  Ⓒ 1957 by A.J. Holmon Co. All rights reserved. Printed in the United States of America. No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without written permission except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews. HarperCollins Publishers, 195 Broadway, New York, NY 10007.]


h. NIV: I put on righteousness as my clothing; justice was my robe and my turban. [THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by Permission of Biblica, Inc.® All rights reserved worldwide.]


1. “I put on righteousness, and it clothed me…”


a. [I] put on [Strong: 3847 labash law-bash' or labesh {law-bashe'}; a primitive root; properly, wrap around, i.e. (by implication) to put on a garment or clothe (oneself, or another), literally or figuratively:--(in) apparel, arm, array (self), clothe (self), come upon, put (on, upon), wear.]


1). The phrase “put on” is a covenant term.


a). Romans 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.


b). Ephesians 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.


c). Colossians 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;


b. righteousness [Strong: 6664 tsedeq tseh'-dek from 6663; the right (natural, moral or legal); also (abstractly) equity or (figuratively) prosperity:--X even, (X that which is altogether) just(-ice), ((un-))right(-eous) (cause, -ly, - ness).]


c. [and it] clothed [me] [Strong: 3847 labash law-bash' or labesh {law-bashe'}; a primitive root; properly, wrap around, i.e. (by implication) to put on a garment or clothe (oneself, or another), literally or figuratively:--(in) apparel, arm, array (self), clothe (self), come upon, put (on, upon), wear.]


1). These are clearly Covenant terms, showing again and again that Job was in Covenant with God. 


a). Isaiah 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.


b). Revelation 21:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.


2). Job’s offering burnt offerings was Covenant behavior.


a). Job 1:4, 5 And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

1:5 And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually.


3). Under the New Covenant because of what Christ Jesus did on the cross and resurrection, we were given righteousness.


a). Romans 3:21, 22 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:


2. “...my judgment was as a robe and a diadem.”


a. [my] judgment [Strong: 4941 mishpat mish-pawt' from 8199; properly, a verdict (favorable or unfavorable) pronounced judicially, especially a sentence or formal decree (human or (participant's) divine law, individual or collective), including the act, the place, the suit, the crime, and the penalty; abstractly, justice, including a participant's right or privilege (statutory or customary), or even a style:--+ adversary, ceremony, charge, X crime, custom, desert, determination, discretion, disposing, due, fashion, form, to be judged, judgment, just(-ice, -ly), (manner of) law(-ful), manner, measure, (due) order, ordinance, right, sentence, usest, X worthy, + wrong.]


b. [was as a] robe [Strong: 4598 m`iyl meh-eel' from 4603 in the sense of covering; a robe (i.e. upper and outer garment):--cloke, coat, mantle, robe.]


c. [and a] diadem [Strong: 6797 tsaniyph tsaw-neef' or tsanowph {tsaw-nofe'}; or (feminine) tsaniyphah {tsaw-nee-faw'}; from 6801; a head-dress (i.e. piece of cloth wrapped around):--diadem, hood, mitre.]


1). These are clearly Covenant terms, showing again and again that job was in Covenant with God. 


No comments: