Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Acts 4:9-12


Acts 4:9-12

If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole; Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand before you whole.
This is the stone which was set at naught of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.”

a.    salvation [soteria * 4991] [Scofield: safety, deliverance, preservation, healing, soundness.]

b.    The primary meaning of salvation clearly is going to heaven, but in the context of the whole New Covenant, it is only one of the many aspects of the inheritance Christ has wrought for us.

c.     The same Greek word for “made whole” and “saved” is the same.

1). [sozo * 4982] [Zodhiates: To save, deliver, make whole, preserve safe from danger, loss or destruction. In Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John the word is used 54 times (56 in the KJV). 20 times is the rescue of the physical life from peril or death, 14 relate from the deliverance from disease or demon possession; 20 are referring to spiritual salvation. In Romans 10:9 it is translated “saved”, while in Acts 14:9 it is “healed”.

d.    It is obvious that salvation includes more than just going to heaven.

e. In Acts 4:12 we see the exclusiveness of Christ Jesus. There is only one way to salvation and that is through Jesus Christ.

1). John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

2). John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

a). The word “he” is in italics which means it was added by the translators. What Jesus was saying is “If you do not believe that I AM you shall die in your sins.”

3). The significance of what Jesus said in this verse is shown further on in this chapter.

a). John 8:56-59 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

4). Jesus was declaring himself to be God the one who spoke to Moses out of the burning bush.

a). Exodus 3:13, 14 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. 

No comments: