Saturday, July 05, 2014

Psalm 119:11

Psalm 119:11

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

a. NLT: I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

b. NIV: I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

c. Young’s Literal Translation: In my heart I have hid Thy saying, That I sin not before Thee.

d. Amplified Bible: Your word have I laid up in my heart, that I might not sin against You.

e. Septuagint: I have hidden thine oracles in my heart, that I might not sin against thee.

f. Stone Edition Torah/Writings/Prophets: In my heart have I stored Your word, so that I would not sin against you.

1. “Thy word have I hid in mine heart…”

a. word [565 * ‘imrah][Strong: commandment, speech, word.]

b. hid [6845 * tsaphan][Strong: a primitive root; to hide (by covering over); by implication, to hoard or reserve; figuratively to deny; specifically (favorably) to protect, (unfavorably) to lurk:--esteem, hide(-den one, self), lay up, lurk (be set) privily, (keep) secret(-ly, place).]

1). Albert Barnes:  Thy word have I hid in mine heart. The word rendered "hid" means properly to conceal, so that a thing may be secret, private, inaccessible; then, to lay up in private, to treasure up. to hoard - as money or jewels - commonly "hidden" from public view. Then it means to lay up in one's heart, as a secret, inaccessible place; to hide one's thoughts; purposes, designs; or to lay up knowledge or wisdom in the heart as a treasure. The meaning here is, that he had "treasured" up the word of God, as the most valuable thing, in his heart; it was "there," though unseen; it constituted the secret power by which he was governed; it was permanently deposited there, as the most valuable of his treasures.

c. heart [3820 * leb][Strong: the heart; also used (figuratively) very widely for the feelings, the will and even the intellect; likewise for the centre of anything:--+ care for, comfortably, consent, X considered, courag(-eous), friend(-ly), ((broken-), (hard-), (merry-), (stiff-), (stout-), double) heart((-ed)), X heed, X I, kindly, midst, mind(-ed), X regard((-ed)), X themselves, X unawares, understanding, X well, willingly, wisdom.][Condensed Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew Lexicon: inner man, mind, will, heart, understanding, inner part, midst, midst (of things), heart (of man), soul, heart (of man), mind, knowledge, thinking, reflection, memory, inclination, resolution, determination (of will), conscience, heart (of moral character), as seat of appetites, as seat of emotions and passions, as seat of courage.]

d. The hiding of the word of God in our hearts is meditating the word of God. It is only the beginning work on our part that opens us up, and gives God further access to bless us and fulfill other promises in our lives.  

1). Proverbs 2:1-5 My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.

2). Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

3). Psalm 1:1-3 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

2. “…that I might not sin against thee.”

a. sin [2398 * chata’][Strong: a primitive root; properly, to miss; hence (figuratively and generally) to sin; by inference, to forfeit, lack, expiate, repent, (causatively) lead astray, condemn:--bear the blame, cleanse, commit (sin), by fault, harm he hath done, loss, miss, (make) offend(-er), offer for sin, purge, purify (self), make reconciliation, (cause, make) sin(-ful, -ness), trespass.]

b. The hiding of the word of God in our hearts is as I said previously meditating the word of God. It is only the beginning work on our part that opens us up, and gives God further access into our lives to bless us and fulfill other promises. The word of God has within itself the grace to enable the believer to resist successfully temptation.

1). Psalm 119:101 I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word.

2). Psalm 37:31 The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.

c. Hiding God’s word in our heart enables us to do His will instead of walking in disobedience.

1). Psalm 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.


2). Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

No comments: