Friday, April 06, 2007

2 Timothy 1:8



2 Timothy 1:8

Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;”

a. NLT: So never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord. And don’t be ashamed of me, either, even though I’m in prison for him. With the strength God gives you, be ready to suffer with me for the sake of the Good News.

b. NIV: So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God.
    
c. YLT: Therefore thou mayest not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but do thou suffer evil along with the good news according to the power of God,

d. Amplified Bible Classic: Do not blush or be ashamed then, to testify to and for our Lord, nor of me, a prisoner for His sake, but [with me] take your share of the suffering [to which the preaching] of the Gospel [may expose you, and do it] in the power of God.

e. Worrell Translation: Be not ashamed, therefore, of the testimony of our Lord, not of me His prisoner; but suffer hardship with me for the Gospel, according to the power of God.

f. Wuest Translation: Therefore, do not begin to be ashamed of the testimony borne by our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but be a partaker with me in my sufferings for the sake of the good news [being a partaker of these sufferings] according to the power of God.

1. “Be thou not therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner…”

a. [Be thou] not [Strong: 3361 me may a primary particle of qualified negation (whereas 3756 expresses an absolute denial); (adverb) not, (conjunction) lest; also (as an interrogative implying a negative answer (whereas 3756 expects an affirmative one)) whether:--any but (that), X forbear, + God forbid, + lack, lest, neither, never, no (X wise in), none, nor, (can-)not, nothing, that not, un(-taken), without. Often used in compounds in substantially the same relations.]

b. therefore [Strong: 3767 oun oon apparently a primary word; (adverbially) certainly, or (conjunctionally) accordingly:--and (so, truly), but, now (then), so (likewise then), then, therefore, verily, wherefore.]

c. ashamed [Strong: 1870 epaischunomai ep-ahee-skhoo'-nom-ahee from 1909 and 153; to feel shame for something:--be ashamed.] [Zodhiates: To bring shame upon oneself, to be ashamed of.”]

1).This type of shame or embarrassment will prevent a person from following Jesus, or making a deeper commitment.

a). Mark 8:34-38 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
8:35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.
8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
8:37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
8:38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

2). Many Christians will be ashamed of themselves when Jesus comes back and they have to stand before him.

a). 1 John 2:28 And now little children abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not to be ashamed before him at his coming.

3). We need to be like the Apostle Paul.

a). Philippians 1:20 According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or death.

b). testimony [Strong: 3142 marturion mar-too'-ree-on neuter of a presumed derivative of 3144; something evidential, i.e. (genitive case) evidence given or (specially), the Decalogue (in the sacred Tabernacle):--to be testified, testimony, witness.] [Zodhaiates: Testimony, witness, proof, the declaration which confirms or makes something known.]

4). God’s testimony is his word.

a). 1 Corinthians 2:1 And I, brethren, when I came unto you, came not with excellency of speech or wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.

b). Psalm 119:99 I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.

c). Psalm 19:7 “…the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.”

2. “…but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;”

a. but [Strong: 235 alla al-lah' neuter plural of 243; properly, other things, i.e. (adverbially) contrariwise (in many relations):--and, but (even), howbeit, indeed, nay, nevertheless, no, notwithstanding, save, therefore, yea, yet.]

b. partaker of the afflictions [Strong: 4777 sugkakopatheo soong-kak-op-ath-eh'-o from 4862 and 2553; to suffer hardship in company with:--be partaker of afflictions.] [Zodhiates: sunkakopatheo; sun-with or together; kakopatheo-to suffer evil or affliction; To suffer hardship, evil or affliction along with someone.]

1). Resisting sin and temptation is an affliction.

a). 1 Peter 5:8-10 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
5:9 Whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

2). Being a Christian will expose me to affliction.

a). 2 Timothy 3:10-12 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
3:11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecution I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.
3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

No comments: