Saturday, July 12, 2008

2 Timothy 4:16

 2 Timothy 4:16

At my first answer no man stood with me, but all forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge.

a. NLT: The first time I was brought before the judge, no one came with me. Everyone abandoned me. May it not be counted against them. [Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.]

b. ASV: At my first defence no one took my part, but all forsook me: may it not be laid to their account.  [Thomas Nelson & Sons first published the American Standard Version in 1901. This translation of the Bible is in the public domain.]

c. YLT: In my first defence no one stood with me, but all forsook me, (may it not be reckoned to them!) [The Young's Literal Translation was translated by Robert Young, who believed in a strictly literal translation of God's word. This version of the Bible is in the public domain.]

d. Classic Amplified: At my first trial no one acted in my defense [as my advocate] or took my part or [even] stood with me, but all forsook me. May it not be charged against them! [Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation]

1. “At my first answer no man stood with me…”

a. At [Strong: 1722. en en a primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), i.e. a relation of rest (intermediate between 1519 and 1537); "in," at, (up-)on, by, etc.:--about, after, against, + almost, X altogether, among, X as, at, before, between, (here-)by (+ all means), for (... sake of), + give self wholly to, (here-)in(-to, -wardly), X mightily, (because) of, (up-)on, (open-)ly, X outwardly, one, X quickly, X shortly, (speedi-)ly, X that, X there(-in, -on), through(-out), (un-)to(-ward), under, when, where(-with), while, with(-in). Often used in compounds, with substantially the same import; rarely with verbs of motion, and then not to indicate direction, except (elliptically) by a separate (and different) preposition.]

b. [Strong: 3588. [te] ho ho, including the feminine he hay, and the neuter to to in all their inflections; the definite article; the (sometimes to be supplied, at others omitted, in English idiom):--the, this, that, one, he, she, it, etc.] [Thayer: [te]  ὁ, ἡ, τό, originally τος, τῇ, τό (as is evident from the forms τοι, ται for οἱ, αἱ in Homer and the Ionic writings), corresponds to our definite article the (German der, die, das), which is properly a demonstrative pronoun, which we see in its full force in Homer, and of which we find certain indubitable traces also in all kinds of Greek prose, and hence also in the N. T.]

c. my [Strong: 3450. mou moo the simpler form of 1700; of me:--I, me, mine (own), my.]

d. first [Strong: 4413. protos pro'-tos contracted superlative of 4253; foremost (in time, place, order or importance):--before, beginning, best, chief(-est), first (of all), former.]

e. answer [Strong: 627. apologia ap-ol-og-ee'-ah from the same as 626; a plea ("apology"):--answer (for self), clearing of self, defence.]

1). Rick Renner 12/4/16: The word “answer” is the Greek word apologia, which is a compound of the words apo and logos. In this case, the word apo means back, and the word logos is the Greek word for a word. When compounded, it means to answer back and depicts a reply, a response, or an answer. It was the old word used to describe a court trial where the accused was given an opportunity to respond to the charges brought against him.
f. no man [Strong: 3762. oudeis oo-dice', including feminine oudemia oo-dem-ee'-ah, and neuter ouden oo-den' from 3761 and 1520; not even one (man, woman or thing), i.e. none, nobody, nothing:--any (man), aught, man, neither any (thing), never (man), no (man), none (+ of these things), not (any, at all, -thing), nought.]

g. stood with [Strong: 4836. sumparaginomai soom-par-ag-in'-om-ahee from 4862 and 3854; to be present together, i.e. to convene; by implication, to appear in aid:--come together, stand with.] [Zodhiates: sumparaginomai; sun-together, with; paraginomai-to come, arrive, be present; to stand by someone as a friend and advocate.] [D.C. Note: This word is used only one other time in the N.T., Luke 23:48].

1). Rick Renner 12/4/16: The word “stood” comes from the Greek word paraginomai. It is a technical term used to describe a witness who stands forward in a court of law to support a prisoner. By selecting this word, Paul makes his point clear: When he desperately needed the support of fellow believers, not one single friend stood forward to testify in his defense. When he turned and looked to see who would be his witness, all his friends were gone!
h. me [Strong: 3165. me meh a shorter (and probably originally) from of 1691; me:--I, me, my.]

1). This of course is speaking of Paul when he went before Nero after he was brought to Rome. He was defending himself before the Roman court of law. 

2. “…but all forsook me…”

a. but [Strong: 235. alla al-lah' neuter plural of 243; properly, other things, i.e. (adverbially) contrariwise (in many relations):--and, but (even), howbeit, indeed, nay, nevertheless, no, notwithstanding, save, therefore, yea, yet.]

b. all [Strong: 3956. pas pas including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole:--all (manner of, means), alway(-s), any (one), X daily, + ever, every (one, way), as many as, + no(-thing), X thoroughly, whatsoever, whole, whosoever.]

c. forsook [Strong: 1459. egkataleipo eng-kat-al-i'-po from 1722 and 2641; to leave behind in some place, i.e. (in a good sense) let remain over, or (in a bad sense) to desert:--forsake, leave.] [Zddhiates: to forsake, desert. To leave behind in any place or state. By, implication, to leave behind in the lurch, forsake, desert, abandon.]

1). Rick Renner 12/4/16: The word “forsook” in Greek is from the word egkataleipo, which is a compound of the words ek, kata, and leipo. The word ek means out; the word kata means down; and the word leipo means to leave or to forsake. But when all three of these words are joined to form a triple-compound word, the new word carries the idea of walking out on someone; leaving someone in a terrible condition; abandoning a person at the worst possible moment; and deserting a person in the most terrible way.

d. me [Strong: 3165. me meh a shorter (and probably originally) from of 1691; me:--I, me, my.]

No comments: