Saturday, April 09, 2011

Biblical essays On Abortion: Is Abortion Killing/

Is Abortion Killing?

If those in the womb are children and babies, is abortion killing the child? Yes. In Jeremiah 20:14, 17 the prophet is lamenting his birth and writes, “Cursed be the day wherein I was born: let not the day wherein my mother bare me be blessed…Because he slew me not from the womb; or that my mother might have been my grave.” The Hebrew word for “slew” is “muwth” and it means “to die or to kill”. It is translated “slew” 38 times and “kill” 24 times in the Old Testament. One good example is the extermination of the Hebrews by the Egyptians in Exodus 1:16. In that verse, the midwives were given instructions by Pharaoh about what to do when the children are born: “…if it be a son, then ye shall kill him.”

In Job 3:11 Job is lamenting his circumstances, and he asks the question, “Why died I not from the womb?” He clearly regards the end of his life in his mother’s womb as a death. We can see from the Hebrew Scriptures that if the life of the child is ended in the womb, or out, by any means, it is a death or the killing of the child.

Some might say I am making too much over “words”, but who would have imagined the wrangling over the words “health of the mother”, from the 1973 Supreme Court decision Roe v. Wade would open the door to over 40 million “killings” of “children”.

No comments: