Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Psalm 91:14

Psalm 91:14

Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.

a. Psalm 91:14 marks a change in who is the individual speaking in the verse. Up to now, the speaker, presumably Moses, is addressing other believers about the divine promises of making the LORD our habitation. Here it is clear the LORD is the individual speaking.

b. NLT: The LORD says, “I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name.

c. NIV: “Because he loves me,” says the LORD, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

d. Amplified Bible: Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore will I deliver him; I will set him on high, because he knows and understands My name [has a personal knowledge of My mercy, love, and kindness—trusts and relies on Me, knowing I will never forsake him, no, never].

e. Septuagint [Listed under Psalm 90:14]: For he has hoped in me, and I will deliver him: I will protect him, because he has known my name.

f. Stone Edition Torah/Writings/Prophets: For he has yearned for Me and I will deliver him; I will elevate him because he knows My Name.

1. “Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him…”

a. love [2836 * chashaq][Strong: a primitive root; to cling, i.e. join, (figuratively) to love, delight in; elliptically (or by interchangeable for 'chasak' (2820)) to deliver:--have a delight, (have a ) desire, fillet, long, set (in) love.]

1). Our heart must long for the LORD.

2). Psalm 42:1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.

b. deliver [6403 * palat][Strong: a primitive root; to slip out, i.e. escape; causatively, to deliver:--calve, carry away safe, deliver, (cause to) escape.]

1). In the New Covenant we have already been delivered because of what Christ Jesus accomplished in the cross.

a). Colossians 1:12-14 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

c. Setting our love upon the Lord is simply obeying his commandments from the heart.

1). Exodus 20:2-6 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

2). John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

3). John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

2. “…I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.”

a. high [7682 * sagab][Strong: a primitive root; to be (causatively, make) lofty, especially inaccessible; by implication, safe, strong; used literally and figuratively --defend, exalt, be excellent, (be, set on) high, lofty, be safe, set up (on high), be too strong.] [Gesenius: to be high, be inaccessibly high, to be (too) high (for capture), to be high (of prosperity), to be high, to be set on high, be (safely) set on high, to be exalted (of God), to set on high, set (securely) on high
to exalt, exalt (in effective hostility), to be set, (securely) on high, to act exaltedly]

b. This definition screams the New Covenant at me, in particular the prophetic exhortation in Psalm 110:1 “The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.” This was fulfilled at the resurrection and ascension of Christ and how we were raised with Him.

1). Ephesians 2:4-6 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

2). We have been exalted and have been seated with Him in heavenly places.

a). Ephesians 1:19-23 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
1:21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
1:23  Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

c. The name of Jesus is the highest name in the Universe, in all of creation and every thing must bow to it. Because we are in Him we know His name.

1). Philippians 2:9-11 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

d. Most importantly for us, we have been given that name to use against our enemy the devil and his minions.

1). Mark 16:17-19 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
            18:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat                 on the right hand of God.

No comments: