Friday, March 02, 2018

Romans 11:3

Romans 11:3

Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.

1. “Lord, they have killed thy prophets…”

a. Lord [Strong: 2962 kurios koo'-ree-os from kuros (supremacy); supreme in authority, i.e. (as noun) controller; by implication, Master (as a respectful title):-- God, Lord, master, Sir.]
b. [they have] killed [Strong: 615  apokteino ap-ok-ti'-no from 575 and kteino (to slay); to kill outright; figuratively, to destroy:--put to death, kill, slay.]
c. thy [Strong: 4675 sou soo genitive case of 4771; of thee, thy:--X home, thee, thine (own), thou, thy.]
d. prophets [Strong: 4396 prophetes prof-ay'-tace from a compound of 4253 and 5346; a foreteller ("prophet"); by analogy, an inspired speaker; by extension, a poet:--prophet.]
1). 1 Kings 18:4 For it was so, when Jezebel cut off the prophets of the Lord, that Obadiah took an hundred prophets, and hid them by fifty in a cave, and fed them with bread and water.)

2). 1 Kings 19:10 And he said, I have been very jealous for the Lord God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

2. “...and digged down thine altars…”

a. and [Strong: 2532 kai kahee apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:--and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.]
b. Digged down [Strong: 2679 kataskapto kat-as-kap'-to from 2596 and 4626; to undermine, i.e. (by implication) destroy:--dig down, ruin.]
c. thine [Strong: 4675 sou soo genitive case of 4771; of thee, thy:--X home, thee, thine (own), thou, thy.
d. altars [Strong: 2379 thusiasterion thoo-see-as-tay'-ree-on from a derivative of 2378; a place of sacrifice, i.e. an altar (special or genitive case, literal or figurative):--altar.]

3. “...and I am left alone, and they seek my life.”

a. [and] I [Strong: 2504 kago kag-o' from 2532 and 1473; so also the dative case kamoi kam-oy', and accusative case kame kam-eh' and (or also, even, etc.) I, (to) me:--(and, even, even so, so) I (also, in like wise), both me, me also.]
b. am left [Strong: 5275 hupoleipo hoop-ol-i'-po from 5295 and 3007; to leave under (behind), i.e. (passively) to remain (survive):--be left.]
c. alone [Strong: 3441 monos mon'-os probably from 3306; remaining, i.e. sole or single; by implication, mere:--alone, only, by themselves.]
d. and [Strong: 2532 kai kahee apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:--and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.]
e. [they] seek [Strong: 2212 zeteo dzay-teh'-o of uncertain affinity; to seek (literally or figuratively); specially, (by Hebraism) to worship (God), or (in a bad sense) to plot (against life):--be (go) about, desire, endeavour, enquire (for), require, (X will) seek (after, for, means).]
f. my [Strong: 3450 mou moo the simpler form of 1700; of me:--I, me, mine (own), my.]
g. life [Strong: 5590 psuche psoo-khay' from 5594; breath, i.e. (by implication) spirit, abstractly or concretely (the animal sentient principle only; thus distinguished on the one hand from 4151, which is the rational and immortal soul; and on the other from 2222, which is mere vitality, even of plants: these terms thus exactly correspond respectively to the Hebrew 5315, 7307 and 2416):--heart (+ -ily), life, mind, soul, + us, + you.]
1). Elijah went into a depression after he was involved in one of the greatest manifestations of the glory and power of God. I guess he thought after such a demonstration he expected a different outcome. Instead, he had to run for his life.

a). 1 Kings 19:2-4 Then Jezebel sent a messenger unto Elijah, saying, So let the gods do to me, and more also, if I make not thy life as the life of one of them by tomorrow about this time.
19:3 And when he saw that, he arose, and went for his life, and came to Beersheba, which belongeth to Judah, and left his servant there.
19:4 But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O Lord, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers.

No comments: