Friday, September 16, 2011

Psalm 22:22

Psalm 22:22

I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.

a. ASV: I will declare thy name unto my brethren: In the midst of the assembly will I praise thee.


b. YLT: I declare Thy name to my brethren, In the midst of the assembly I praise Thee.

c. Amplified Bible Classic: I will declare Your name to my brethren; in the midst of the congregation will I praise You.

d. Septuagint [Psalm 22:22 in our bible is Psalm 21:23 in the Septuagint]: I will declare thy name to my brethren: in the midst of the church will I sing praise to thee.

e. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings [Psalm 22:22 in our Bible is Psalm 22:23 in the Jewish Bible]: 

1. “I will declare thy name unto my brethren…”

a. [I will] declare [Strong: 5608 çâphar, saw-far'; a primitive root; to score with a mark as a tally or record, i.e. (by implication) to inscribe, and also to enumerate; intensively, to recount, i.e. celebrate:--commune, (ac-)count; declare, number, + penknife, reckon, scribe, shew forth, speak, talk, tell (out), writer.]

b. [thy] name [Strong: 8034 shêm, shame; a primitive word [perhaps rather from H7760 through the idea of definite and conspicuous position; compare H8064]; an appellation, as a mark or memorial of individuality; by implication honor, authority, character:—+ base, (in-) fame(-ous), named(-d), renown, report.]

c. [unto my] brethren [Strong: 251 ʼâch, awkh; a primitive word; a brother (used in the widest sense of literal relationship and metaphorical affinity or resemblance [like H1]):—another, brother(-ly); kindred, like, other.] [Gesenius:  brother, brother of same parents, half-brother (same father), relative, kinship, same tribe.]

2. “…in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.”

a. [in the] midst [Strong: 8432 tâvek, taw'-vek; from an unused root meaning to sever; a bisection, i.e. (by implication) the centre:—among(-st), × between, half, × (there-, where-), in(-to), middle, mid(-night), midst (among), × out (of), × through, × with(-in).] [Gesenius: midst, middle, among, between.]

b. [of the] congregation [Strong: 6951 qâhâl, kaw-hawl'; from H6950; assemblage (usually concretely):—assembly, company, congregation, multitude.] [Gesenius:  assembly, company, congregation, convocation, assembly, congregation, as organised body.]

c. [will I] praise [thee] [Strong: 1984 hâlal, haw-lal'; a primitive root : to be clear (orig. of sound, but usually of color); to shine; hence, to make a show, to boast; and thus to be (clamorously-noisy) foolish; to rave; causatively, to celebrate; also to stultify:--(make) boast (self), celebrate, commend, (deal, make), fool(- ish, -ly), glory, give (light), be (make, feign self) mad (against), give in marriage, (sing, be worthy of) praise, rage, renowned, shine.]

1). We must remember that this is a Messianic Psalm, it prophetically speaks about Christ Jesus. So what we have here is the pre-incarnate Christ speaking prophetically to God, that He, Christ Jesus would praise God in the midst of the congregation. Looking at the Hebrew definition we see him saying, I [Jesus] will in a noisy and apparently foolish manner, rave, celebrate, boast, commend, rage and praise you Father God. This same verse is quoted by the writer of Hebrews and applied to the New Testament church.

a). Hebrews 2:11, 12 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,
2:12Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.

2). How is this going to play out? Let’s first look at John 15. 

a). John 15:4, 5 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.”

3). Next look at Matthew and Colossians.

a). Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. 

b). Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

4). The bottom line in this: Psalm 22:22 and Hebrews 2:11, 12 will be fulfilled when Jesus praises God through and in us!

5). 1). Comparison of Hebrews 2:12 with Psalm 22:22, Hebrew and Greek.

a). Greek: midst [Strong: 3319 mesos mes'-os from 3326; middle (as an adjective or (neuter) noun):--among, X before them, between, + forth, mid(-day, -night), midst, way.] [Thayer: middle, the midst in the midst of, amongst.]

b). Hebrew: midst [Strong: 8432 tavek taw'-vek from an unused root meaning to sever; a bisection, i.e. (by implication) the centre:--among(-st), X between, half, X (there- ,where-), in(-to), middle, mid(-night), midst (among), X out (of), X through, X with(-in).] [Gesenius: midst, middle, among, between.]

c). Greek: church [Strong: 1577 ekklesia ek-klay-see'-ah : from a compound of 1537 and a derivative of 2564; a calling out, i.e. (concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both):--assembly, church.] [Thayer: :  a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place, an assembly, an assembly of the people convened at the public place of the council for the purpose of deliberating, an assembly of Christians gathered for worship in a religious meeting, the whole body of Christians scattered throughout the earth.]

d). Hebrew: congregation [Strong: 6951 qahal kaw-hawl' from 6950; assemblage (usually concretely):--assembly, company, congregation, multitude.] [Gesenius: assembly, company, congregation, convocation, assembly, congregation, as organised body.]

e). Greek: sing praise [Strong: 5214 humneo hoom-neh'-o from 5215; to hymn, i.e. sing a religious ode; by implication, to celebrate (God) in song:--sing a hymn (praise unto).] [Thayer: to sing the praise of, sing hymns to, to sing a hymn, to sing, singing of paschal hymns these were Psalms 113 - 118 and 136, which the Jews called the "great Hallel"]

(1) Thayer’s definition here is interesting in light of the quotation is from Psalm 22, the great Messianic Psalm of Christ Jesus on the cross, Jesus being crucified on Passover and the Jews singing the Hallel on Passover, which is what Jesus did on the way to the Mount of Olives (Matthew 26:30).

f). Hebrew: praise [Strong: 1984 hâlal, haw-lal'; a primitive root; to be clear (orig. of sound, but usually of color); to shine; hence, to make a show, to boast; and thus to be (clamorously-noisy) foolish; to rave; causatively, to celebrate; also to stultify:--(make) boast (self), celebrate, commend, (deal, make), fool(- ish, -ly), glory, give (light), be (make, feign self) mad (against), give in marriage, (sing, be worthy of) praise, rage, renowned, shine.]

6). Here is what we have with Hebrews 2 quoting Psalm 22, we must remember that Psalm 22 is a Messianic Psalm, it prophetically speaks about Christ Jesus. So what we have here in Hebrews 2:12 is the writer, probably Paul referring his readers to Psalm 22:22 where the pre-incarnate Christ is speaking prophetically to God, that He, Christ Jesus would praise God in the midst of the congregation. Looking at the Hebrew definition we see him saying, I [Jesus] will in a noisy and apparently foolish manner, rave, celebrate, boast, commend, rage and praise you Father God. How is this going to play out? Let’s first look at John 15:4, 5 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.” Next look at Matthew 18:20 “For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” And Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: The bottom line in this: Psalm 22:22 and Hebrews 2:11, 12 will be fulfilled when Jesus praises God through and in us!

No comments: