Thursday, September 01, 2011

Psalm 42:11

Psalm 42:11

Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.

1. “Why art thou cast down, O my soul?...”

a. cast down [7817 * shachach] [Strong: a primitive root; to sink or depress (reflexive or causative):--bend, bow (down), bring (cast) down, couch, humble self, be (bring) low, stoop.]

2. “…and why art thou disquieted within me?..”

a. disquieted [1993 * hamah] [Strong: a primitive root (Compare  1949); to make a loud sound like Engl. "hum"); by implication, to be in great commotion or tumult, to rage, war, moan, clamor:--clamorous, concourse, cry aloud, be disquieted, loud, mourn, be moved, make a noise, rage, roar, sound, be troubled, make in tumult, tumultuous, be in an uproar.]

3. “…hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.”

a.    hope [3176 * yachal] [Gesenius: to wait, hope, expect, to wait, to wait, await, tarry, to wait for, hope for, to wait, tarry, wait for, hope for.]

b. praise  [3034 * yadah ][Strongs: a primitive root; literally, to use (i.e. hold out) the hand; physically, to throw (a stone, an arrow) at or away; especially to revere or worship (with extended hands); intensively, to bemoan (by wringing the hands):--cast (out), (make) confess(-ion), praise, shoot, (give) thank(-ful, -s, -sgiving).]

c. health [3444 * yeshuw’ah] [Strongs: salvation, deliverance, welfare, prosperity, deliverance, salvation (by God), victory.]

d. countenance [6440 * paniym] [Gesenius: face.]

1). The Biblical answer for depression and the blues is praise!

No comments: