Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Psalm 71:21

Psalm 71:21

Thou shalt increase my greatness, and comfort me on every side.

a. NLT: You will restore me to even greater honor and comfort me once again.

b. NIV: You will increase my honor and comfort me once more.

c. YLT: Thou dost increase my greatness, And Thou surroundest -- Thou comfortest me,

d. Amplified Bible Classic: Increase my greatness (my honor) and turn and comfort me.

e. Septuagint: Thou didst multiply thy righteousness, and didst turn and comfort me, and broughtest me again out of the depths of the earth.

f. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings: Increase my greatness, and turn back to comfort me.

1. “Thou shalt increase my greatness…”

a. [Thou] shalt increase [Strong: 7235 rabah raw-baw' a primitive root; to increase (in whatever respect):--(bring in) abundance (X -antly), + archer (by mistake for 7232), be in authority, bring up, X continue, enlarge, excel, exceeding(-ly), be full of, (be, make) great(-er, -ly, X -ness), grow up, heap, increase, be long, (be, give, have, make, use) many (a time), (any, be, give, give the, have) more (in number), (ask, be, be so, gather, over, take, yield) much (greater, more), (make to) multiply, nourish, plenty(-eous), X process (of time), sore, store, thoroughly, very.]

b. [my] greatness [Strong: 1420 gduwlah ghed-oo-law' or (shortened) gdullah {ghed-ool-law'}; or (less accurately) gduwllah {ghed-ool-law'}; feminine of 1419; greatness; (concretely) mighty acts:--dignity, great things(-ness), majesty.]

1). This passage matches almost perfectly what Paul writes in Philippians. After the resurrection Jesus was raised and exalted to sit on the right hand of God.

a). Philippians 2:8-11 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.   

2. “...and comfort me on every side.”

a. [and] comfort [Strong: 5162 nacham naw-kham' a primitive root; properly, to sigh, i.e. breathe strongly; by implication, to be sorry, i.e. (in a favorable sense) to pity, console or (reflexively) rue; or (unfavorably) to avenge (oneself):--comfort (self), ease (one's self), repent(-er,-ing, self).] [Gesenius: to lament, to grieve, to comfort oneself, to be revenged, to take vengeance, to repent.]   

b. [me] on every side [Strong: 5437 cabab saw-bab' a primitive root; to revolve, surround, or border; used in various applications, literally and figuratively (as follows):--bring, cast, fetch, lead, make, walk, X whirl, X round about, be about on every side, apply, avoid, beset (about), besiege, bring again, carry (about), change, cause to come about, X circuit, (fetch a) compass (about, round), drive, environ, X on every side, beset (close, come, compass, go, stand) round about, inclose, remove, return, set, sit down, turn (self) (about, aside, away, back).]

No comments: