Monday, December 19, 2016

2 Corinthians 12:1

2 Corinthians 12:1


It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.


a. NLT: This boasting will do no good, but I must go on. I will reluctantly tell about visions and revelations from the Lord. [Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.]


b. NIV: I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord. [THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by Permission of Biblica, Inc.® All rights reserved worldwide.]


c. YLT: To boast, really, is not profitable for me, for I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord. [The Young's Literal Translation was translated by Robert Young, who believed in a strictly literal translation of God's word. This version of the Bible is in the public domain.]


d. Amplified Bible Classic: True, there is nothing to be gained by it, but [as I am obliged] to boast, I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord. [Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation]


e. Worrell Translation: It is needful for me to glory, though, indeed, not profitable; but I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord. [Copyright 1904 by A.S. Worrell. Copyright assigned to the Assemblies of God, Springfield, MO. This edition was published 1980 by the Gospel Publishing House, Springfield, MO 65802. Printed in the U.S.A.]


f. Wuest Translation: It is a necessity in the nature of the case for me to be boasting, though it is not expedient [my opponents force me to do so], but I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.  [The New Testament: An Expanded Translation by Kenneth S. Euest. © Copyright Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. 1961. All rights reserved.]


1. “It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory…”


a. It is…expedient [Strong: 4851 sumphero soom-fer'-o from 4862 and 5342 (including its alternate); to bear together (contribute), i.e. (literally) to collect, or (figuratively) to conduce; especially (neuter participle as a noun) advantage:--be better for, bring together, be expedient (for), be good, (be) profit(-able for).]


b. not [Strong: 3756 ou oo, also (before a vowel) ouk ook, and (before an aspirate) ouch ookh a primary word; the absolute negative (compare 3361) adverb; no or not:--+ long, nay, neither, never, no (X man), none, (can-)not, + nothing, + special, un(-worthy), when, + without, + yet but.]


c. for me [Strong: 3427 moi moy the simpler form of 1698; to me:--I, me, mine, my.]


d. doubtless [Strong: 1211 de day probably akin to 1161; a particle of emphasis or explicitness; now, then, etc.:--also, and, doubtless, now, therefore.]


e. to glory [Strong: 2744 kauchaomai kow-khah'-om-ahee from some (obsolete) base akin to that of aucheo (to boast) and 2172; to vaunt (in a good or a bad sense):--(make) boast, glory, joy, rejoice.]


f. [Strong: 1063 gar gar a primary particle; properly, assigning a reason (used in argument, explanation or intensification; often with other particles):--and, as, because (that), but, even, for, indeed, no doubt, seeing, then, therefore, verily, what, why, yet.


2. “…I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.”

 

a. I will come [Strong: 2064 erchomai er'-khom-ahee middle voice of a primary verb (used only in the present and imperfect tenses, the others being supplied by a kindred (middle voice) eleuthomai el-yoo'-thom-ahee, or (active) eltho el'-tho, which do not otherwise occur) to come or go (in a great variety of applications, literally and figuratively):--accompany, appear, bring, come, enter, fall out, go, grow, X light, X next, pass, resort, be set.]


b. to [Strong: 1519 eis ice a primary preposition; to or into (indicating the point reached or entered), of place, time, or (figuratively) purpose (result, etc.); also in adverbial phrases:--(abundant-)ly, against, among, as, at, (back-)ward, before, by, concerning, + continual, + far more exceeding, for (intent, purpose), fore, + forth, in (among, at, unto, -so much that, -to), to the intent that, + of one mind, + never, of, (up-)on, + perish, + set at one again, (so) that, therefore(-unto), throughout, til, to (be, the end, -ward), (here-)until(-to), ...ward, (where-)fore, with. Often used in composition with the same general import, but only with verbs (etc.) expressing motion (literally or figuratively).]


c. visions [Strong: 3701 optasia op-tas-ee'-ah from a presumed derivative of 3700; visuality, i.e. (concretely) an apparition:--vision.]


d. and [Strong: 2532 kai kahee apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:--and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.]


e. revelations [Strong: apokalupsis ap-ok-al'-oop-sis from 601; disclosure:--appearing, coming, lighten, manifestation, be revealed, revelation.]


f. [of the] Lord [Strong: 2962 kurios koo'-ree-os from kuros (supremacy); supreme in authority, i.e. (as noun) controller; by implication, Master (as a respectful title):-- God, Lord, master, Sir.]


1). The following are some of the visions and revelations mentioned in Scripture, but the out of body experience Paul describes in the next few verses is not mentioned anywhere but in this chapter.


a). Acts 9:3-6 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

9:4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

9:5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

9:6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.


b). Acts 16:8-11 And they passing by Mysia came down to Troas.

16:9 And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us.

16:10 And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.


c). Acts 18:9, 10 Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace:

18:10 For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee: for I have much people in this city.


d). Acts 22:17-21 And it came to pass, that, when I was come again to Jerusalem, even while I prayed in the temple, I was in a trance;

22:18 And saw him saying unto me, Make haste, and get thee quickly out of Jerusalem: for they will not receive thy testimony concerning me.

22:19 And I said, Lord, they know that I imprisoned and beat in every synagogue them that believed on thee:

22:20 And when the blood of thy martyr Stephen was shed, I also was standing by, and consenting unto his death, and kept the raiment of them that slew him.

22:21 And he said unto me, Depart: for I will send thee far hence unto the Gentiles.


e). Acts 23:11 And the night following the Lord stood by him, and said, Be of good cheer, Paul: for as thou hast testified of me in Jerusalem, so must thou bear witness also at Rome.


f). Acts 27:23, 24 For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve,

27:24 Saying, Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee.


No comments: