Saturday, July 04, 2009

1 Corinthians 13:11

1 Corinthians 13:11

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

a. Interestingly, Paul is using the illustration of growing up from a child to a man to illustrate the point of when tongues, knowledge and prophesying will stop. It seems to look like he is comparing these spiritual tools to childish things that will be discarded. In light of that I think that another example of the use of the word perfect is warranted.
 
1).Ephesians 4:13 “Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect [TELIOS] man, unto the measure of the stature of Christ."
  
2). Comparing these two passages, we can see that manhood is defined as “the measure    of the stature of Christ”. Saints, I don’t know about you, but I’m not there yet. Let me restate that, I do know about you, and you are not there yet either.

No comments: