Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Philippians 3:13



Philippians 3:13

Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

a. NLT: No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead,

b. NIV: Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,

c. YLT: brethren, I do not reckon myself to have laid hold; and one thing -- the things behind indeed forgetting, and to the things before stretching forth --

d. Amplified Bible Classic: I do not consider, brethren, that I have captured and made it my own [yet]; but one thing I do [it is my one aspiration]: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,

e. Worrell Translation: Brethren, I do not account myself to have laid hold of it, but one thing I do, forgetting the things which are behind, and reaching forth to the things before.

f. Wuest Translation: Brethren, as for myself, as I look back upon my life and calmly draw a conclusion, I am not counting myself yet as one who has in an absolute and complete way laid hold [of that for which I have been laid hold of by Christ Jesus]; but one thing: I, in fact, and forgetting completely the things that are behind, and am stretching forward to the things that are in front.

1. “Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended…”

a. Brethren [Strong: 80 adephos ad-el-fos' from 1 (as a connective particle) and delphus (the womb); a brother (literally or figuratively) near or remote (much like 1):--brother.]

b. I [Strong: 1473 ego eg-o' a primary pronoun of the first person I (only expressed when emphatic):--I, me.]

c. count [Strong: 3049 logizomai log-id'-zom-ahee middle voice from 3056; to take an inventory, i.e. estimate (literally or figuratively):--conclude, (ac-)count (of), + despise, esteem, impute, lay, number, reason, reckon, suppose, think (on).]

d. not [Strong: 3756 ou oo, also (before a vowel) ouk ook, and (before an aspirate) ouch ookh a primary word; the absolute negative (compare 3361) adverb; no or not:--+ long, nay, neither, never, no (X man), none, (can-)not, + nothing, + special, un(-worthy), when, + without, + yet but.]

e. myself [Strong: 1683 emautou em-ow-too' genitive case compound of 1700 and 846; of myself so likewise the dative case emautoi em-ow-to', and accusative case emauton em-ow-ton' :--me, mine own (self), myself.]

f. [to have] apprehended [Strong: 2638 katalambano kat-al-am-ban'-o from 2596 and 2983; to take eagerly, i.e. seize, possess, etc. (literally or figuratively):--apprehend, attain, come upon, comprehend, find, obtain, perceive, (over-)take.] [Thayer: to lay hold of, to lay hold of so as to make one's own, to obtain, attain to, to make one's own, to take into one's self, appropriate, to seize upon, take possession of,  of evils overtaking one, of the last day overtaking the wicked with destruction, of a demon about to torment one, in a good sense, of Christ by his holy power and influence laying, hold of the human mind and will, in order to prompt and govern it, to detect, catch, to lay hold of with the mind, to understand, perceive, learn, comprehend.]

1). The Apostle Paul recognized that he was not yet perfect, he was not fully mature and not fully the image of Jesus Christ. This humble attitude was made abundantly clear in his epistles.

a). Romans 3:9, 19 What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;
3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

b). 1 Timothy 1:12-15 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
1:13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
1:14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

2. “…but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,

a. but [Strong: 1161 de deh a primary particle (adversative or continuative); but, and, etc.:--also, and, but, moreover, now (often unexpressed in English).]

b. this one thing [I do] [Strong: 1520 heis hice (including the neuter (etc.) hen); a primary numeral; one:--a(-n, -ny, certain), + abundantly, man, one (another), only, other, some.]

c. forgetting [Strong: 1950 epilanthanomai ep-ee-lan-than'-om-ahee middle voice from 1909 and 2990; to lose out of mind; by implication, to neglect:--(be) forget(-ful of).] [Zodhiates: to forget and not to remember.] [Thayer: to forget,  neglecting, no longer caring for, forgotten, given over to oblivion, i.e. uncared for.]

d. those things [Strong: 3303 men men a primary particle; properly, indicative of affirmation or concession (in fact); usually followed by a contrasted clause with 1161 (this one, the former, etc.):--even, indeed, so, some, truly, verily. Often compounded with other particles in an intensive or asseverative sense.]

e. which are behind [Strong: 3694 opiso op-is'-o from the same as 3693 with enclitic of direction; to the back, i.e. aback (as adverb or preposition of time or place; or as noun):--after, back(-ward), (+ get) behind, + follow.] [Zodhiates: Behind, back, backwards, speaking of place and time. Metaphorically used in Philippians 3:13, referring to former pursuits and accomplishments.]

1). This could also refer to past sins and failures that are forgiven, washed away by the blood of Jesus.

a). Hebrews 10:14-18 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

3. “…and reaching forth unto those things which are before…”

a. and [Strong: 2532 kai kahee apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:--and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.]

b. reaching forth [Strong: 1901 epekteinomai ep-ek-ti'-nom-ahee middle voice from 1909 and 1614; to stretch (oneself) forward upon:--reach forth.] [Zodhiates: to reach towards.] [epekteinomai; epi-to, unto; ekteino-to extend]

1). Rick Renner Daily Devotional 1/2/17When Paul wrote that we must be “reaching forth” to the things before us, he used the Greek word epekteino — an old word that was used to picture runners in a foot race. It is a triple compound of the words epi, ek, and teino. The word epi means upon; the word ek means out; and the word teino means to stretch out or to strain forward. When these three words are compounded into one word as they are in Philippians 3:13, where Paul urged us to be “reaching forth” to the things before us, it portrays the mental image of a runner who is running with all his might toward the finish line before him. As he approaches the goal in front of him, he reaches out (ek) toward the goal before him. Straining with every ounce of his being (teino), he stretches out and presses toward the finish line. At long last, he leans forward to lay hold upon (epi) the goal — the finish line. If the runner is to reach that goal and receive the cherished prize, he must give his very best effort to the race. He can reach the finish line and win the prize, but it will not happen without a firm commitment to be the best — nor will it occur unless he possesses a willingness to push harder than any of the other runners.

2). Paul used this word picture in other instances.

a). 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
9:25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
9:26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

No comments: