Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Isaiah 44:3

Isaiah 44:3-5 is a passage filled with promises concerning our children. It was passed along to me by Victoria Bowling.

Isaiah 44:3

For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring:

a. NLT: For I will pour out water to quench your thirst and to irrigate your parched fields. And I will pour out my Spirit on your descendants, and my blessing on your children.

b. NIV: For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants.

c. Amplified Bible:  For I will pour water upon him who is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground. I will pour My Spirit upon your offspring, and My blessing upon your descendants.

d. Septuagint: For I will give water to the thirsty that walk in a dry land: I will put my Spirit upon thy seed, and my blessings upon thy children.

e. Stone Edition Torah/Writings/Prophets: Just as I pour water upon the thirsty [land] and flowing water upon the dry ground, so shall I pour out My spirit upon your offspring and My blessing upon your progeny.

1. “For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty…”

a. pour [3332 * yatsaq] [Strong: a primitive root; properly, to pour out (transitive or intransitive); by implication, to melt or cast as metal; by extension, to place firmly, to stiffen or grow hard:--cast, cleave fast, be (as) firm, grow, be hard, lay out, molten, overflow, pour (out), run out, set down, stedfast.]

b. water [4325 * mayim] [Strong: dual of a primitive noun (but used in a singular sense); water; figuratively, juice; by euphemism, urine, semen:--+ piss, wasting, water(-ing, (-course, -flood, -spring)).]

c. thirsty [6771 * tsame’] [Strong: thirsty (literally or figuratively):--(that) thirst(-eth, -y).]

d. Commentary:

1). Albert Barnes: Floods, rivers, streams, and waters, are often used in the Scriptures, and especially in Isaiah, to denote plenteous divine blessings, particularly the abundant influences of the Holy Spirit. That it here refers to the Holy Spirit and his influences, is proved by the parallel expressions in the subsequent part of the verse.

2). Don Costello: There is no Hebrew for “him” in the text, but there is no doubt this promise is referring primarily to people and secondly to creation is shown by the sections that mention our “seed” and our “offspring”. The words “dry ground” are used as a metaphor to describe the human condition.

a). Psalm 63:1 O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;

2. “…and floods upon the dry ground…”

a. floods [5140 * nazal] [Strong:  a primitive root; to drip, or shed by trickling:--distil, drop, flood, (cause to) flow(-ing), gush out, melt, pour (down), running water, stream.]

b. dry ground [3004 * yabbashah] [Strong: from 3001; dry ground:--dry (ground, land).]

1). The LORD can rain down upon us in a number of ways.

a). Psalm 72:6 He shall come  down like rain upon the mown grass: as showers that water the earth.

b). Deuteronomy 32:1, 2 Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak; and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.
32:2 My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:

3. “…I will pour my spirit upon thy seed…”

a. pour [3332 * yatsaq] [Strong: a primitive root; properly, to pour out (transitive or intransitive); by implication, to melt or cast as metal; by extension, to place firmly, to stiffen or grow hard:--cast, cleave fast, be (as) firm, grow, be hard, lay out, molten, overflow, pour (out), run out, set down, stedfast.]

b. spirit [7307 * ruwach] [Strong: from 7306; wind; by resemblance breath, i.e. a sensible (or even violent) exhalation; figuratively, life, anger, unsubstantiality; by extension, a region of the sky; by resemblance spirit, but only of a rational being (including its expression and functions):--air, anger, blast, breath, X cool, courage, mind, X quarter, X side, spirit((-ual)), tempest, X vain, ((whirl-))wind(-y).]

1). John 7:37-39 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
7:39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

2). Isaiah 12:2, 3 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.
12:3 Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.

c. seed [2233 * zera’] [Strong: from 2233; seed; figuratively, fruit, plant, sowing-time, posterity:--X carnally, child, fruitful, seed(-time), sowing- time.]

1). Acts 2;16-18 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
2:18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

4. “…and my blessing upon thine offspring:”

a. blessing [1293 * Berakah] [Strong: from 1288; benediction; by implication prosperity:--blessing, liberal, pool, present.]

1). Notice in the following verse the use of the Hebrew word “blessings”. The Hebrew word for blessing encompasses spiritual, physical, and financial blessings.

a). Genesis 49:25 Even by the God of thy father, who shall help thee; and by the Almighty, who shall bless thee with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that lieth under, blessings of the breasts, and of the womb:

b). “Blessings of heaven above”: spiritual. “Blessings of the deep that lieth under”: natural resources. “Blessings of the breasts and of the womb”: children.

b. offspring [6631 * tse’etsa] [Strong: from 3318; issue, i.e. produce, children:--that which cometh forth (out), offspring.]

No comments: