Sunday, September 28, 2014

Jeremiah 20:9

Jeremiah 20:9

Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.

a. NLT: But if I say I’ll never mention the LORD or speak in his name, his word burns in my heart like a fire. It’s like a fire in my bones! I am worn out trying to hold it in! I can’t do it!

b. NIV: But if I say, “I will not mention his word or speak anymore in his name,” his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.

c. Amplified Bible:  If I say, I will not make mention of [the Lord] or speak any more in His name, in my mind and heart it is as if there were a burning fire shut up in my bones. And I am weary of enduring and holding it in; I cannot [contain it any longer].

d. Septuagint: Then I said, I will by no means name the name of the Lord, and I will no more at all speak in his name. But it was a burning fire flaming in my bones, and I am utterly weakened on all sides, and cannot bear [up].

e. Stone Edition Torah/Writings/Prophets: Yet if I would say, “I will not mention Him and not speak in His Name any more—[His word] would be like a burning fire in my heart, stored in my bones, and though I might struggle to contain it, I could not.

1. “Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name…”

a. said [559 * ‘amar] [Strong: a primitive root; to say (used with great latitude):--answer, appoint, avouch, bid, boast self, call, certify, challenge, charge, + (at the, give) command(-ment), commune, consider, declare, demand, X desire, determine, X expressly, X indeed, X intend, name, X plainly, promise, publish, report, require, say, speak (against, of), X still, X suppose, talk, tell, term, X that is, X think, use (speech), utter, X verily, X yet.]

b. make mention [2142 * zakar] [Strong: a primitive root; properly, to mark (so as to be recognized), i.e. to remember; by implication, to mention; also (as denominative from 2145) to be male:--X burn (incense), X earnestly, be male, (make) mention (of), be mindful, recount, record(-er), remember, make to be remembered, bring (call, come, keep, put) to (in) remembrance, X still, think on, X well.]

c. speak [1696 * dabar] [Strong: a primitive root; perhaps properly, to arrange; but used figuratively (of words), to speak; rarely (in a destructive sense) to subdue:--answer, appoint, bid, command, commune, declare, destroy, give, name, promise, pronounce, rehearse, say, speak, be spokesman, subdue, talk, teach, tell, think, use (entreaties), utter, X well, X work.]

d. name [8034 * shem] [Strong: a primitive word (perhaps rather from 7760 through the idea of definite and conspicuous position; Compare 8064); an appellation, as a mark or memorial of individuality; by implication honor, authority, character:--+ base, (in-)fame(-ous), named(-d), renown, report.]

e. Jeremiah became bitter toward God because as he obeyed God and gave the word he received nothing but persecution. As a result in Jeremiah 20:9, Jeremiah made the decision not to speak the word of God because declaring God’s word meant only pain for him, so he decided not to speak any more.
1). Jeremiah 20:7, 8 O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived; thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me.
20:8 For since I spake, I cried out, I cried violence and spoil; because the word of the Lord was made a reproach unto me, and a derision, daily.

2. “…But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones…”

a. mine heart [3820 * leb] [Strong: a form of 3824; the heart; also used (figuratively) very widely for the feelings, the will and even the intellect; likewise for the centre of anything:--+ care for, comfortably, consent, X considered, courag(-eous), friend(-ly), ((broken-), (hard-), (merry-), (stiff-), (stout-), double) heart((-ed)), X heed, X I, kindly, midst, mind(-ed), X regard((-ed)), X themselves, X unawares, understanding, X well, willingly, wisdom.] [Condensed Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew Lexicon: inner man, mind, will, heart, understanding, inner part, midst, midst (of things), heart (of man), soul, heart (of man), mind, knowledge, thinking, reflection, memory, inclination, resolution, determination (of will), conscience, heart (of moral character), as seat of appetites, as seat of emotions and passions, as seat of courage.]

b. burning fire [1197 * ba’ar] [Strong: a primitive root; to kindle, i.e. consume (by fire or by eating); also (as denominative from 1198) to be(-come) brutish:--be brutish, bring (put, take) away, burn, (cause to) eat (up), feed, heat, kindle, set ((on fire)), waste.]

1). Jeremiah 23:29 Is not my word like a fire? Saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?

2). Perhaps similar to what any prophet felt. The Spirit of Christ was in them, urging them, inspiring them to speak.

a). 1 Peter 1:10-12 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
1:11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.
1:12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

3). The Spirit of Christ filled Micah with power, judgment, and might to speak the word of the LORD.

a). Micah 3:8 But truly I am full of power by the spirit of the LORD, and of judgment, and of might, to declare unto Jacob his transgression, and of Israel his sin.

c. shut up [6113 * ‘atsar] [Strong: a primitive root; to inclose; by analogy, to hold back; also to maintain, rule, assemble:--X be able, close up, detain, fast, keep (self close, still), prevail, recover, refrain, X reign, restrain, retain, shut (up), slack, stay, stop, withhold (self).]

d. my bones [6106 * ‘etsem] [Strong: from 6105; a bone (as strong); by extension, the body; figuratively, the substance, i.e. (as pron.) selfsame:--body, bone, X life, (self-)same, strength, X very.]

3. “…and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.”

a. I was weary [3811 * la’ah] [Strong: a primitive root; to tire; (figuratively) to be (or make) disgusted:--faint, grieve, lothe, (be, make) weary (selves).]

b. forbearing [3557 * kuwl] [Strong: a primitive root; properly, to keep in; hence, to measure; figuratively, to maintain (in various senses):--(be able to, can) abide, bear, comprehend, contain, feed, forbearing, guide, hold(-ing in), nourish(-er), be present, make provision, receive, sustain, provide sustenance (victuals).]

c. could [3201 * yakol] [Strong: a primitive root; to be able, literally (can, could) or morally (may, might):--be able, any at all (ways), attain, can (away with, (-not)), could, endure, might, overcome, have power, prevail, still, suffer.]

1). In spite of his decision not to speak God’s word any more, Jeremiah’s fight to not speak was a losing battle. The Apostle Paul knew also deep in his heart it is worse with us if we are not obedient to the gospel.

a). 1 Corinthians 9:16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!

2). Notice the similar descriptions of other men of God concerning the word in their heart.

a). Luke 24:27-32  And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
24:28 And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further.
24:29 But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them.
24:30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.
24:31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.
24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

No comments: