Sunday, September 28, 2014

Jeremiah 20:8

Jeremiah 20:8

For since I spake, I cried out, I cried violence and spoil; because the word of the Lord was made a reproach unto me, and a derision, daily.

a. NLT: When I speak, the words burst out. “Violence and destruction!” I shout. So these messages from the LORD have made me a household joke.

b. NIV: Whenever I speak, I cry out proclaiming violence and destruction. So the word of the LORD has brought me insult and reproach all day long.

c. Amplified Bible: For whenever I speak, I must cry out and complain; I shout, Violence and destruction! For the word of the Lord has become to me a reproach and a derision and has brought me insult all day long.

d. Septuagint: For I will laugh with my bitter speech, I will call upon rebellion and misery: for the word of the Lord is become a reproach to me and a mockery all my days.

e. Stone Edition Torah/Writings/Prophets: Whenever I speak [to them], I shout; “Corruption! Robbery! Do I proclaim, for the word of HASHEM has become a source of shame and derision to me all day long.

1. “For since I spake, I cried out, I cried violence and spoil…”

a. For since [1767 * day] [Strong: of uncertain derivation; enough (as noun or adverb), used chiefly with preposition in phrases:--able, according to, after (ability), among, as (oft as), (more than) enough, from, in, since, (much as is) sufficient(-ly), too much, very, when.]

b. spake [1696 * dabar] [Strong: a primitive root; perhaps properly, to arrange; but used figuratively (of words), to speak; rarely (in a destructive sense) to subdue:--answer, appoint, bid, command, commune, declare, destroy, give, name, promise, pronounce, rehearse, say, speak, be spokesman, subdue, talk, teach, tell, think, use (entreaties), utter, X well, X work.]

c. cried out [2199 * za’aq] [Strong: a primitive root; to shriek (from anguish or danger); by analogy, (as a herald) to announce or convene publicly:-- assemble, call (together), (make a) cry (out), come with such a company, gather (together), cause to be proclaimed.]

d. I cried [7121 * qara’] [Strong: a primitive root (rather identical with 7122 through the idea of accosting a person met); to call out to (i.e. properly, address by name, but used in a wide variety of applications):--bewray (self), that are bidden, call (for, forth, self, upon), cry (unto), (be) famous, guest, invite, mention, (give) name, preach, (make) proclaim(- ation), pronounce, publish, read, renowned, say.]

e. violence [2555 * chamac] [Strong: from 2554; violence; by implication, wrong; by meton. unjust gain:--cruel(-ty), damage, false, injustice, X oppressor, unrighteous, violence (against, done), violent (dealing), wrong.]

f. spoil [7701 * shod] [Strong: from 7736; violence, ravage:--desolation, destruction, oppression, robbery, spoil(-ed, -er, - ing), wasting.]

2. “…because the word of the Lord was made a reproach unto me, and a derision, daily.”

a. word [1697 * dabar] [Strong: a word; by implication, a matter (as spoken of) or thing; adverbially, a cause:--act, advice, affair, answer, X any such (thing), because of, book, business, care, case, cause, certain rate, + chronicles, commandment, X commune(-ication), + concern(-ing), + confer, counsel, + dearth, decree, deed, X disease, due, duty, effect, + eloquent, errand, (evil favoured-)ness, + glory, + harm, hurt, + iniquity, + judgment, language, + lying, manner, matter, message, (no) thing, oracle, X ought, X parts, + pertaining, + please, portion, + power, promise, provision, purpose, question, rate, reason, report, request, X (as hast) said, sake, saying, sentence, + sign, + so, some (uncleanness), somewhat to say, + song, speech, X spoken, talk, task, + that, X there done, thing (concerning), thought, + thus, tidings, what(-soever), + wherewith, which, word, work.]

b. of the LORD [3068 * Yehovah] [Strong: (the) self-Existent or Eternal; Jehovah, Jewish national name of God:--Jehovah, the Lord]

c. reproach [2781 * cherpah] [Strong: contumely, disgrace, the pudenda:--rebuke, reproach(-fully), shame.]

d. derision [7047 * qelec] [Strong: from 7046; a laughing-stock:--derision.]

e. daily [3117 * yowm] [Strong: from an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literal (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figurative (a space of time defined by an associated term), (often used adverb):--age, + always, + chronicals, continually(-ance), daily, ((birth-), each, to) day, (now a, two) days (agone), + elder, X end, + evening, + (for) ever(-lasting, -more), X full, life, as (so) long as (... live), (even) now, + old, + outlived, + perpetually, presently, + remaineth, X required, season, X since, space, then, (process of) time, + as at other times, + in trouble, weather, (as) when, (a, the, within a) while (that), X whole (+ age), (full) year(-ly), + younger.]

f. Commentary:

1). Carl Friedrich Keil and Franz Delitzsh: I am become a laughter the whole day long, every one mocketh at me. Jeremiah 20:8. For as often as I speak, I must call out and cry violence and spoil, for the word of Jahveh is made a reproach and a derision to me all the day.

2).  John Gill: I am in derision daily, everyone mocketh me; he was the laughing stock of everyone of the people of Israel, from the highest to the lowest; princes, priests, and people, all derided him and his prophecies, and that continually, every day, and all the day long, and especially when he was in the stocks; though it was not only his person they mocked, but the word of the Lord by him, as appears from Jeremiah 20:8.

3). Geneva Bible Notes: He shows that he did his office in that he reproved the people of their vices and threatened them with God's judgments: but because he was derided and persecuted for this, he was discouraged, and would have stopped preaching, except that God's spirit forced him to it.

No comments: