Monday, August 20, 2012

Isaiah 45:23


Isaiah 45:23

I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

1. “I have sworn by myself…”

a. sworn [7650 * shaba’][Strong: to seven oneself, i.e. swear (as if by repeating a declaration seven times):--adjure, charge (by an oath, with an oath), feed to the full (by mistake for 7646), take an oath, X straitly, (cause to, make to) swear.]

b. The inspired writer of Hebrews [probably Paul], uses the terminology in his book.

1). Hebrews 6:13, 14 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could sware by no greater, he sware by himself.
Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee.

2). Arthur Pink in his commentary writes a very powerful definition and description concerning it.

a). Exposition of Hebrews, Arthur Pink, Baker Book House, 1986, p. 341. “The assurance which was given to Abraham was the greatest that Heaven itself could afford: a promise and an oath. We say the greatest, for in v. 16, the Apostle declares that amongst men an “oath” is an end of strife; how much more when the great God Himself takes one! Moreover, observe He sware “by Himself”: He staked Himself; it was as though He had said, I will cease to be God if I do not perform this. The Lord pledged His veracity, declared the event should be as certain as His existence.”

2. “…the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return…”

a. [NIV] “…my mouth has uttered in all integrity a word that will not be revoked…”

b. [RSV] “…from my mouth has gone forth in righteousness a word that shall not return…”

c. There are a couple of verses from Isaiah that fit perfectly here.

1). Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereunto I send it.

2). Isaiah 14:24 The LORD of hosts hath sworn, saying, Surely as I have thought, so shall it come to pass; and as I have purposed, so shall it stand:

d. There is no a way for a word from God can be said with more emphasis than here, in light of what Pink writes, that by swearing by Himself, God was staking Himself, that in effect, he would cease to be God if he did not perform these words.

3. “…That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.”

a. This part of the verse is quoted twice in the New Testament, and both of the references refer to Christ on a throne of judgment as God.

1). Romans 14:10-12 But why dost thou judge thy brother? Or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

2). Philippians 2:8-11 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

b. This verse is a powerful witness to the deity of Christ Jesus, that he is God manifest in the flesh.

No comments: