Sunday, August 05, 2012

Philippians 3:7

Philippians 3:7

But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.

a. NLT: I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done.

b. NIV: But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.

c. YLT: But what things were to me gains, these I have counted, because of the Christ, loss;

d. Amplified Bible Classic:  But whatever former things I had that might have been gains to me, I have come to consider as [one combined] loss for Christ’s sake.

e. Worrell Translation: But what things were gainto me, these I accounted loss for Christ.

f. Wuest Translation: But whatever things were to me a gainful asset, these things I have considered a loss when it comes to my acquisition of Christ, and still so consider them.

1. “But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.”

a. But [Strong: 235 alla al-lah' neuter plural of 243; properly, other things, i.e. (adverbially) contrariwise (in many relations):--and, but (even), howbeit, indeed, nay, nevertheless, no, notwithstanding, save, therefore, yea, yet.]

b. what things [Strong: 3748 hostis hos'-tis, including the feminine hetis hay'-tis, and the neuter ho,ti hot'-ee from 3739 and 5100; which some, i.e. any that; also (definite) which same:--X and (they), (such) as, (they) that, in that they, what(-soever), whereas ye, (they) which, who(-soever).]

c. were [Strong: 2258 en ane imperfect of 1510; I (thou, etc.) was (wast or were):--+ agree, be, X have (+ charge of), hold, use, was(-t), were.]

d. gain [Strong: 2771 kerdos ker'-dos of uncertain affinity; gain (pecuniary or genitive case):--gain, lucre.]

e. to me [Strong: 3427 moi moy the simpler form of 1698; to me:--I, me, mine, my.]

f. those [Strong: 5023 tauta tow'-tah nominative or accusative case neuter plural of 3778; these things:--+ afterward, follow, + hereafter, X him, the same, so, such, that, then, these, they, this, those, thus.]
    

g. I counted [Strong: 2233 hegeomai hayg-eh'-om-ahee middle voice of a (presumed) strengthened form of 71; to lead, i.e. command (with official authority); figuratively, to deem, i.e. consider:--account, (be) chief, count, esteem, governor, judge, have the rule over, suppose, think.]

h. loss [Strong: 2209 zemia dzay-mee'-ah probably akin to the base of 1150 (through the idea of violence); detriment:--damage, loss.] [Thayer: damage, loss.]

i. for [Strong: 1223 dia dee-ah' a primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through (in very wide applications, local, causal, or occasional):--after, always, among, at, to avoid, because of (that), briefly, by, for (cause) ... fore, from, in, by occasion of, of, by reason of, for sake, that, thereby, therefore, X though, through(-out), to, wherefore, with (-in). In composition it retains the same general importance.]

j. Christ [Strong: 5547 Christos khris-tos' from 5548; anointed, i.e. the Messiah, an epithet of Jesus:--Christ.

1). What ever advantages he once thought he had, because of his Jewish birth, circumcision, being a Pharisee and persecuting the church, after having Christ in his life those same things were counted as loss.

a). Philippians 3:4-6 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

2). Albert Barnes New testament Commentary: “The advantages of birth, of education, and of external conformity to the law. "I thought these to be gain--that is, to be of vast advantage in the matter of salvation. I valued myself on these things, and supposed that I was rich in all that pertained to moral character and to religion." Perhaps, also, he refers to these things as laying the foundation of a hope of future advancement in honour and in wealth in this world. They commended him to the rulers of the nation; they opened before him a brilliant prospect of distinction; they made it certain that he could rise to posts of honour and of office, and could easily gratify all the aspirings of his ambition…I now regard them all as so much loss. They were really a disadvantage--a hindrance--an injury. I look upon them not as gain or an advantage, but as an obstacle to my salvation." He had relied on them. He had been led by these things to an improper estimate of his own character, and he had been thus hindered from embracing the true religion, lie says, therefore, that he now renounced all dependence on them; that he esteemed them not as contributing to his salvation, but, so far as any reliance should be placed on them, as in fact so much loss.”

3). Paul in the very next verse actually compares all these privileges and achievements to excrement, human or animal waste.

a). Philippians 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

No comments: