Saturday, August 11, 2012

Isaiah 60:10



Isaiah 60:10

And the sons of strangers shall build up thy walls, and their kings shall minister unto thee: for in my wrath I smote thee, but in my favor have I had mercy on thee.

a. NLT: “Foreigners will come to rebuild your towns, and their kings will serve you.
For though I have destroyed you in my anger, I will now have mercy on you through my grace.

b. NIV: “Foreigners will rebuild your walls, and their kings will serve you. Though in anger I struck you, in favor I will show you compassion.

c. YLT:  And sons of a stranger have built thy walls, And their kings do serve thee, For in My wrath I have smitten thee, And in My good pleasure I have pitied thee.

d. Amplified Bible Classic: Foreigners shall build up your walls, and their kings shall minister to you; for in My wrath I smote you, but in My favor, pleasure, and goodwill I have had mercy, love, and pity for you.

e. Septuagint: And strangers shall build thy walls, and their kings shall wait upon thee: for by reason of my wrath I smote thee, and by reason of mercy I loved thee.

f. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings: Then the sons of foreigners will build your walls and their kings will serve you. Though I struck you in My indignation, in My favor have I been compassionate to you.  

1. “And the sons of strangers shall build up thy walls, and their kings shall minister unto thee…”

a. [And] the sons [Strong: 1121 ben bane from 1129; a son (as a builder of the family name), in the widest sense (of literal and figurative relationship, including grandson, subject, nation, quality or condition, etc., (like 1, 251, etc.)):--+ afflicted, age, (Ahoh-) (Ammon-) (Hachmon-) (Lev-)ite, (anoint-)ed one, appointed to, (+) arrow, (Assyr-) (Babylon-) (Egypt-) (Grec-)ian, one born, bough, branch, breed, + (young) bullock, + (young) calf, X came up in, child, colt, X common, X corn, daughter, X of first, + firstborn, foal, + very fruitful, + postage, X in, + kid, + lamb, (+) man, meet, + mighty, + nephew, old, (+) people, + rebel, + robber, X servant born, X soldier, son, + spark, + steward, + stranger, X surely, them of, + tumultuous one, + valiant(-est), whelp, worthy, young (one), youth.]

b. of strangers Strong: 5236 nekar nay-kawr' ' from 5234; foreign, or (concretely) a foreigner, or (abstractly) heathendom:--alien, strange (+ -er).]

c. shall build up [Strong: 1129 banah baw-naw' a primitive root; to build (literally and figuratively):--(begin to) build(-er), obtain children, make, repair, set (up), X surely.]

d. thy walls [Strong: 2346 chowmah kho-maw' feminine active participle of an unused root apparently meaning to join; a wall of protection:--wall, walled.]

e. and their kings [Strong: 4428 melek meh'-lek from 4427; a king:--king, royal.]

f. shall minister [Strong: 8334 sharath shaw-rath' a primitive root; to attend as a menial or worshipper; figuratively, to contribute to:--minister (unto), (do) serve(- ant, -ice, -itor), wait on.]

g. unto [thee] [Strong: 3588 kiy kee a primitive particle (the full form of the prepositional prefix) indicating causal relations of all kinds, antecedent or consequent; (by implication) very widely used as a relative conjunction or adverb (as below); often largely modified by other particles annexed:--and, + (forasmuch, inasmuch, where-)as, assured(-ly), + but, certainly, doubtless, + else, even, + except, for, how, (because, in, so, than) that, + nevertheless, now, rightly, seeing, since, surely, then, therefore, + (al- )though, + till, truly, + until, when, whether, while, whom, yea, yet.]

1). Part of the wealth coming in will be used to rebuild Jerusalem because it had suffered much destruction during the final three and a half years of the seven year tribulation and the second coming of Christ.

2. “…for in my wrath I smote thee, but in my favor have I had mercy on thee.”

a. for in my wrath [Strong: 7110 qetseph keh'-tsef from 7107; a splinter (as chipped off); figuratively, rage or strife:--foam, indignation, X sore, wrath.]

b. I smote thee [Strong: 5221 nakah naw-kaw' a primitive root; to strike (lightly or severely, literally or figuratively):--beat, cast forth, clap, give (wounds), X go forward, X indeed, kill, make (slaughter), murderer, punish, slaughter, slay(-er, -ing), smite(-r, -ing), strike, be stricken, (give) stripes, X surely, wound.]

1). The smiting in wrath is referring to the suffering the Jewish people have had to suffer because they rejected the Messiah.

a). Romans 11:7-29 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded.
11:8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.
11:9 And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them:
11:10 Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.
11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.
11:12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?
11:13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:
11:14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.
11:15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?
11:16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.
11:17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
11:18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
11:19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in.
11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
11:21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
11:23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graft them in again.
11:24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert grafted contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?
11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.
11:28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the father's sakes.
11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

2). The wrath will culminate in the slaying of 2 thirds of the Jewish people and will be stopped at the return of their Messiah.

a). Zechariah 13:7-9 Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man that is my fellow, saith the Lord of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones.
13:8 And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the Lord, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein.
13:9And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God.

3). Though it is not God doing it because He is the Supreme Administer of all creation he is taking the responsibility.

c. but in my favor [Strong: 7522 ratsown raw-tsone' or ratson {raw-tsone'}; from 7521; delight (especially as shown):--(be) acceptable(-ance, -ed), delight, desire, favour, (good) pleasure, (own, self, voluntary) will, as...(what) would.]

d. have I had mercy [on thee] [Strong: 7355 racham raw-kham' a primitive root; to fondle; by implication, to love, especially to compassionate:--have compassion (on, upon), love, (find, have, obtain, shew) mercy(-iful, on, upon), (have) pity, Ruhamah, X surely.]

1). Here the LORD contrasts the beginning process of restoration immediately following the second coming, with what had preceded it, i.e., the painful process of bringing Israel back into right  relationship with God.

2). The whole of Isaiah 60 is an expression of the favor and mercy of God toward Israel. There are many other passages that reveal this truth.

a). Isaiah 61:7-9 For your shame ye shall have double; and for confusion they shall rejoice in their portion: therefore in their land they shall possess the double: everlasting joy shall be unto them.
61:8 For I the Lord love judgment, I hate robbery for burnt offering; and I will direct their work in truth, and I will make an everlasting covenant with them.
61:9 And their seed shall be known among the Gentiles, and their offspring among the people: all that see them shall acknowledge them, that they are the seed which the Lord hath blessed.


No comments: