Friday, December 01, 2006

Genesis 17:2

Genesis 17:2

And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and I will multiply thee exceedingly.

a. NLT: I will make a covenant with you, by which I will guarantee to give you countless descendants.”

b. NIV: Then I will make my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers.”

c. Amplified Bible: And I will make My covenant (solemn pledge) between Me and you and will multiply you exceedingly.

d. Septuagint: And I will establish my covenant between me and thee, and I will multiply thee exceedingly.

e. Stone Edition Torah/Writings/Prophets: I will set My covenant between Me and you, and I will increase you most exceedingly

1. “And I will make my covenant between me and thee…”

a. make (5414 * nathan) (This is the 1978 Edition of Strong’s) to give, bring forth, cause, commit, do, charge.]

1). Edersheim: The expression, “I will make my covenant” in Genesis 17:2 is quite different from that rendered by the same words in Genesis 15:18, “The LORD made a covenant with Abram.” In the latter case it is “to make” (KJ-made), literally, to “cut a covenant”; while the terms in Genesis 17:2 are, “I will give my covenant” i.e., establish, fulfill it.

b. covenant (1285 * beriyth) a compact (because made by passing between pieces of flesh): confederacy, covenant, league; to covenant, to make an alliance, originally by cutting flesh  and passing between the pieces.]

2. “…and I will multiply thee exceedingly.”

a. multiply [7235 * rabah] [Strong: a primitive root; to increase (in whatever respect):--(bring in) abundance (X -antly), + archer (by mistake for 7232), be in authority, bring up, X continue, enlarge, excel, exceeding(-ly), be full of, (be, make) great(-er, -ly, X -ness), grow up, heap, increase, be long, (be, give, have, make, use) many (a time), (any, be, give, give the, have) more (in number), (ask, be, be so, gather, over, take, yield) much (greater, more), (make to) multiply, nourish, plenty(-eous), X process (of time), sore, store, thoroughly, very.]

b. exceedingly [3966 * m’od] [AMG, Complete Word Study Dictionary Old Testament: A substantive, adverb, or adjective in function, very, greatly, great, abundance; might, power,] [Strong: from the same as 181; properly, vehemence, i.e. (with or without preposition) vehemently; by implication, wholly, speedily, etc. (often with other words as an intensive or superlative; especially when repeated):--diligently, especially, exceeding(-ly), far, fast, good, great(-ly), X louder and louder, might(-ily, -y), (so) much, quickly, (so) sore, utterly, very (+ much, sore), well.]

1). The Hebrew translation reads “I will increase you most exceedingly.”

No comments: