Saturday, July 08, 2017

2 Corinthians 11:25

2 Corinthians 11:25

Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;

a. NLT: Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea.

b. NIV: Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea,

c. YLT: Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice was I shipwrecked, a night and a day in the deep I have passed;

d. Amplified Bible Classic: Three times I have been beaten with rods; once I was stoned. Three times I have been aboard a ship wrecked at sea; a [whole] night and a day I have spent [adrift] on the deep;

e. Worrell Translation: Thrice I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have spent in the deep.

f. Wuest Translation: Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Tree times I was shipwrecked. I have spent a night and a day in the sea.

1. “Thrice was I beaten with rods…”

a. Thrice [Strong: 5151 tris trece adverb from 5140; three times:--three times, thrice.]

b. was I beaten with rods [Strong: 4463 rhabdizo hrab-did'-zo from 4464; to strike with a stick, i.e. bastinado:--beat (with rods).]

1). Only one incident of Paul being beat with rods is mentioned in Scripture. It occurred after Paul cast a demon out of a slave girl in Philippi. The other two incidents are not mentioned

a). Acts 16:16-22 And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:
16:17 The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.
16:18 And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.
16:19 And when her masters saw that the hope of their gains was gone, they caught Paul and Silas, and drew them into the marketplace unto the rulers,
16:20 And brought them to the magistrates, saying, These men, being Jews, do exceedingly trouble our city,
16:21 And teach customs, which are not lawful for us to receive, neither to observe, being Romans.
16:22 And the multitude rose up together against them: and the magistrates rent off their clothes, and commanded to beat them.

2). Scholars estimate that Paul was in Tarsus for about eight years between fleeing Jerusalem and Barnabas coming for him and taking him to Antioch. I is highly possible that many if not all of these incidents occurred during that time period.

2. “…once was I stoned…”

a. once [Strong: 530 hapax hap'-ax probably from 537; one (or a single) time (numerically or conclusively):--once.]

b. was I stoned [Strong: 3034 lithazo lith-ad'-zo from 3037; to lapidate:--stone.]

1). There is only one incident of stoning that Paul experienced in Scripture and it is referring to the incident  in Acts during the First Missionary Tour.

a). Acts 14:19, 20  And there came thither certain Jews from Antioch and Iconium, who persuaded the people, and having stoned Paul, drew him out of the city, supposing he had been dead.
14:20 Howbeit, as the disciples stood round about him, he rose up, and came into the city: and the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe.

3. “…thrice I suffered shipwreck…”

a. thrice [Strong: 5151 tris trece adverb from 5140; three times:--three times, thrice.]

b. I suffered shipwreck [Strong: 3489 nauageo now-ag-eh'-o from a compound of 3491 and 71; to be shipwrecked (stranded, "navigate"), literally or figuratively:--make (suffer) shipwreck.]

1). The only shipwreck mentioned in Acts is when paul was on the way to Rome and it happened after Paul wrote this epistle, so the three incidents he mentioned in this epistle occurred before. When is unknown.

4. “…a night and a day I have been in the deep;”

a. a night and a day [Strong: 3574 nuchthemeron nookh-thay'-mer-on from 3571 and 2250; a day-
and-night, i.e. full day of twenty-four hours:--night and day.]

b. I have been [Strong: 4160 poieo poy-eh'-o apparently a prolonged form of an obsolete primary; to make or do (in a very wide application, more or less direct):--abide, + agree, appoint, X avenge, + band together, be, bear, + bewray, bring (forth), cast out, cause, commit, + content, continue, deal, + without any delay, (would) do(-ing), execute, exercise, fulfil, gain, give, have, hold, X journeying, keep, + lay wait, + lighten the ship, make, X mean, + none of these things move me, observe, ordain, perform, provide, + have purged, purpose, put, + raising up, X secure, shew, X shoot out, spend, take, tarry, + transgress the law, work, yield.]

c. in [Strong: 1722 en en a primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), i.e. a relation of rest (intermediate between 1519 and 1537); "in," at, (up-)on, by, etc.:--about, after, against, + almost, X altogether, among, X as, at, before, between, (here-)by (+ all means), for (... sake of), + give self wholly to, (here-)in(-to, -wardly), X mightily, (because) of, (up-)on, (open-)ly, X outwardly, one, X quickly, X shortly, (speedi-)ly, X that, X there(-in, -on), through(-out), (un-)to(-ward), under, when, where(-with), while, with(-in). Often used in compounds, with substantially the same import; rarely with verbs of motion, and then not to indicate direction, except (elliptically) by a separate (and different) preposition.]

d. the [Strong: 3588 ho ho, including the feminine he hay, and the neuter to to in all their inflections; the definite article; the (sometimes to be supplied, at others omitted, in English idiom):--the, this, that, one, he, she, it, etc.]

e. deep [Strong: 1037 buthos boo-thos' a variation of 899; depth, i.e. (by implication) the sea:--deep.]

1). This incident happened and was not recorded in Acts.

No comments: