Friday, January 25, 2013

Genesis 12:19

Genesis 12:19

Why saidst thou, She is my sister? so I might have taken her to me to wife: now therefore behold thy wife, take her, and go thy way.

a. NLT: Why did you say, ‘She is my sister,’ and allow me to take her as my wife? Now then, here is your wife. Take her and get out of here!”

b. NIV: Why did you say, ‘She is my sister,’ so that I took her to be my wife? Now then, here is your wife. Take her and go!”

c. YLT: Why hast thou said, She is my sister, and I take her to myself for a wife? and now, lo, thy wife, take and go.'

d. Amplified Bible: Why did you say, ‘She is my sister,’ so that I took her as my wife? Now then, here is your wife; take her and go!”

e. Septuagint: Wherefore didst thou say, She is my sister? and I took her for a wife to myself; and now, behold, thy wife is before thee, take her and go quickly away.

f. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings: Why did you say,”She is my sister,’ so that I would have taken her as my wife? Now, here is your wife; take her and go!”

1. Why saidst thou, She is my sister?

a. Why sadist thou [559 * 'amar] [Strong: a primitive root; to say (used with great latitude):--answer, appoint, avouch, bid, boast self, call, certify, challenge, charge, + (at the, give) command(-ment), commune, consider, declare, demand, X desire, determine, X expressly, X indeed, X intend, name, X plainly, promise, publish, report, require, say, speak (against, of), X still, X suppose, talk, tell, term, X that is, X think, use (speech), utter, X verily, X yet.]

b. she is my sister [269 * 'achowth] [Strong: irregular feminine of 251; a sister (used very widely (like 250), literally and figuratively):--(an-)other, sister, together.

2. “…so I might have taken her to me to wife…”

a. so I might have taken [3947 * laqach] [Strong: a primitive root; to take (in the widest variety of applications):--accept, bring, buy, carry away, drawn, fetch, get, infold, X many, mingle, place, receive(-ing), reserve, seize, send for, take (away, -ing, up), use, win.]

b. her to be my wife [802 *  'ishshah] [Strong: feminine of 376 or 582; irregular plural, nashiym {naw-sheem'}; a woman (used in the same wide sense as 582):--(adulter)ess, each, every, female, X many, + none, one, + together, wife, woman. Often unexpressed in English.]

1). The King James translation clearly says that Pharaoh did not lay with Sarah. The wording implies that after Sarah was given to Pharaoh, she was perhaps in some kind of harem or at least kept away from Pharaoh. The only other translation I found that has similar wording is the Webster Bible translated by Noah Webster in 1833.

a). Genesis 12:19 [Webster’s Bible] Why saidst thou, She is my sister? so I might have taken her to me for a wife: now therefore behold thy wife, take her, and go thy way.

2). All the other translations I found has a different wording, one that does not imply they were kept apart. The English wording “I might” is not in the text.

3. “…now therefore behold thy wife, take her, and go thy way.”

a. now therefore behold thy wife [802 *  'ishshah] [Strong: feminine of 376 or 582; irregular plural, nashiym {naw-sheem'}; a woman (used in the same wide sense as 582):--(adulter)ess, each, every, female, X many, + none, one, + together, wife, woman. Often unexpressed in English.]

b. take her [3947 * laqach] [Strong: a primitive root; to take (in the widest variety of applications):--accept, bring, buy, carry away, drawn, fetch, get, infold, X many, mingle, place, receive(-ing), reserve, seize, send for, take (away, -ing, up), use, win.]

c. and go thy way [3212 * yalak] [Strong: a primitive root (Compare 1980); to walk (literally or figuratively); causatively, to carry (in various senses):--X again, away, bear, bring, carry (away), come (away), depart, flow, + follow(-ing), get (away, hence, him), (cause to, made) go (away, -ing, -ne, one's way, out), grow, lead (forth), let down, march, prosper, + pursue, cause to run, spread, take away ((-journey)), vanish, (cause to) walk(-ing), wax, X be weak.]

No comments: