Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Psalm 139:11

 Psalm 139:11

If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.


a. ASV: If I say, Surely the darkness shall overwhelm me, And the light about me shall be night;  [Thomas Nelson & Sons first published the American Standard Version in 1901. This translation of the Bible is in the public domain.]


b. YLT: And I say, 'Surely darkness bruiseth me, Then night is light to me.  [The Young's Literal Translation was translated by Robert Young, who believed in a strictly literal translation of God's word. This version of the Bible is in the public domain.]


c. Classic Amplified: If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me and the night shall be [the only] light about me, [Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation]


d. NLT: I could ask the darkness to hide me and the light around me to become night—  [Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.]


e. Tehillim/Psalms: Would I say, “Surely darkness will envelope me,” then the night will be light for me.  [THE ARTSCROLL TANACH SERIES TEHILLIM / PSALMS PERSONAL SIZE EDITION VOL.1 Ⓒ Copyright 1977, 1985, 1996 by MESORAH PUBLICATIONS, Ltd.]


f. The Israel Bible: If I say, “Surely darkness will conceal me, night will provide me with cover,”  [The English Translation was adapted by Israel 365 from the JPS Tanakh. Copyright Ⓒ 1985 by the Jewish Publication Society. All rights reserved.]


1. “If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.”


a. [If I] say [Strong: 559 'amar aw-mar' a primitive root; to say (used with great latitude):--answer, appoint, avouch, bid, boast self, call, certify, challenge, charge, + (at the, give) command(-ment), commune, consider, declare, demand, X desire, determine, X expressly, X indeed, X intend, name, X plainly, promise, publish, report, require, say, speak (against, of), X still, X suppose, talk, tell, term, X that is, X think, use (speech), utter, X verily, X yet.]


b. Surely [Strong: 389 'ak ak akin to 403; a particle of affirmation, surely; hence (by limitation) only:--also, in any wise, at least, but, certainly, even, howbeit, nevertheless, notwithstanding, only, save, surely, of a surety, truly, verily, + wherefore, yet (but).]


c. [the] darkness [Strong: 2822 choshek kho-shek' from 2821; the dark; hence (literally) darkness; figuratively, misery, destruction, death, ignorance, sorrow, wickedness:--dark(-ness), night, obscurity.]


d. [shall] cover [me] [Strong: 7779 shuwph shoof a primitive root; properly, to gape, i.e. snap at; figuratively, to overwhelm:--break, bruise, cover.]


e. [even the] night [Strong: 3915 layil lah'-yil or (Isa. 21:11) leyl {lale}; also laylah {lah'- yel-aw}; from the same as 3883; properly, a twist (away of the light), i.e. night; figuratively, adversity:--((mid-))night (season).]


f. [shall be] light [Strong: 216 'owr ore from 215; illumination or (concrete) luminary (in every sense, including lightning, happiness, etc.):--bright, clear, + day, light (-ning), morning, sun.]


g. about [me] [Strong: 1157 b`ad beh-ad' from 5704 with prepositional prefix; in up to or over against; generally at, beside, among, behind, for, etc.:--about, at by (means of), for, over, through, up (-on), within.]


No comments: